Adding drysuit pockets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Regardless of what glue you use, the absolute biggest factor will be the amount of prep you do. Get everything ready beforehand. Some steps to ensure success:

1) Get a friend, pay them in beer and pizza AFTER you're done with them

2) Put on your drysuit with your normal undergarments and all of your gear

3) Make sure you have water and remain cool enough so you don't get heat stroke while doing this in your living room

4) Get in your natural scuba diving position

5) With your friend, place the pockets where you want them and have your friend outline them with soap, chalk, etc. (This is why you wait until after to get them drunk)

6) Take all of your stuff off before you pass out. Seriously. You don't want to do this in Arizona in the middle of the summer. Ask me how I know.....

7) Place your drysuit on a sturdy table with one leg up, ONLY DO ONE AT A TIME!!! Bonus if you can fit something inside that mimics the curve of your leg, either way you want a hard surface under the pocket location. (An Al80 works pretty well if it fits btw)

8) TAPE an outline a small distance around the pocket (a couple millimeters is fine)

9) Prepare the pocket and drysuit glue according to whatever instructions are on there

10) When you put the glue on the drysuit, make sure the ENTIRE area is covered, including some of the tape

12) Ask yourself, why did he skip #11? I'll wait....think about it.....

13) Place the pocket on the drysuit and fill it with as much weight as you can. Personally I prefer soft weights so they conform to the curve of what you have inside

14) Once the pocket is sufficiently weighted with enough pressure applied, peel the tape up so that you can a clean edge

15) Let cure, then repeat for the other leg

16) Enjoy the sudden increase in your diving prowess because you've got pockets

This works because you've already got your glue, you've got your weights ready, your sturdy table and backing ready, your beer on ice and your pizza ordered. It really is all in the prep work.

This works equally well for wetsuits, however you have to remember that wetsuits stretch, so you really want to make sure you've got something that matches the size in the leg so that your marks are stretched to the same size as when you had the suit on.

Oh boy ! :clapping:
Thanks a lot @JohnnyC . That is exactly what I was looking for.
I don't have to worry about being hot, it's -10 F here today (and it'll be like this for a while...) Just a minute outside will do the trick.

I'll be thinking about no.11... ;-)

Back
Top Bottom