Adding base layer to Wetsuit...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gary miyakawa

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm looking to add some base layer to my diving for warmth.. (I'm a wimp)... I was looking at the Bare Ultrawarmth base layer and thinking about wearing that under my wetsuit BUT they describe it to be used with dry suit. No where have I found a statement that it can't be worn with a wetsuit but I don't see anyone trying it.

Does anyone out there have experience with adding this product (or, something else) as a base layer for a wetsuit?

Thanks,

Gary M

I use a Bare Exowear or Henderson? Thermax shirt under my 3mm wetsuit.
Exowear is part of the ultra warmth line if I’m not mistaken

I would recommend layering 2 wetsuits of some sort. I highly recommend a hooded-vest, and you can add wetsuit shorts too if you'd like.

You could also layer a shorty-wetsuit or a 2nd thin (1.5 to 3mm) wetsuit under or over your main one, depending on fit of either wetsuit.

As a bonus of having 2 wetsuits, perhaps 5 to 7mm, and 1 to 3mm, is that you can wear them individually or together as needed, giving you a much wider range. Personally, I find my 5/7mm is good for most temperatures (I can "flush" it if I get too warm), however I appreciate having a thinner wetsuit when waters warm up to non-wetsuit temps, because it takes up less space in my kit, but I still have it around in case I decided to go a little deeper.

Remember these with the square flap at the back with the two buttons from the cowboy movies

Men's-Union-Suit.jpg

Diving with a guy and he had one of these, luckily I was too seasick to catch more than a glimpse

Unionsuit_Front.jpg

He squeezed his baggy bloomers into his baggy wetsuit, kept him warm he loved his ghetto gear

july_16_to_21_killbear_119_small2.jpg

At least his Yeti ensemble was black but I never dived with him again, he criticised my split fins

from what i see online the bare base layer is a fancy stretchy fleece type material. it certainly was not designed to be used with a wet suit but there would be no reason you couldn't.

i think i would be asking.....what are you trying to achieve?

if your current suit is well fitted (snug with no loose areas or pockets)then adding an under layer may not be an option. in this case, as others have suggested, adding another layer of neprene on top may be the answer.

however, if you do have a suit that is not really fitted that well, and you have room to wear something under it, you can certainly do that. a thin base layer material whether it is fleece or merino wool, would take up the extra room in the suit creating a much better fit. a better fit means less water will wash in and out of the suit which will def keep you warmer. i used to wear socks inside my wet boots. they prevented blisters, made the boots easier to get on and off, and made a big difference in the warmth of the boots.

if you do try a base layer of some type, make sure it is slippery enough to allow you to get your wet suit on and off.

you would have to weigh the cost against the benefit. the bare two pieces for example, will cost about $250 canadian. you might be better to sell your current suit and put that money towards a suit that fits better, may be a bit thicker, and keeps you warm enough for your conditions.

let us know what suit you use now, what type of diving you do, and what are the temps like etc etc in order to get some recommendations. it may be you are using a suit that is just not optimal for your diving. you might need to get into a semi dry or even a dry suit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom