Add weight directly to backplate ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SaltyWombat

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I dive a Halcyon backplate & Eclipse singles wing. I have 2 trim pockets on my lower cam band with 5 lbs of lead each. When switching cylinders on a rocking boat, it's tricky getting the trim pockets to be in the exact same position on the switched out cylinder. I'd prefer something less adjustable.

Ideally I'd move the 2 x 5 lbs to the lower part of the backplate. The system used by DSS backplates looks interesting. OMS also makes a sleeve to go over their backplates which contains 4 trim pockets.

Any other ideas for moving weight from cam band trim pockets to the backplate?

I've fitted small 0.5kg blocks in the spine rebate before using bungees and zip ties, and also strips of ankle weights between the backplate and the cylinder, where a p weight would go.

I was diving doubles but both options should still work.

Any other ideas for moving weight from cam band trim pockets to the backplate?

With or without DIY'ing?

Halcyon has an optional weight that fits into the single tank adapter. Have you checked that out?

I could go either way.

I should have clarified earlier that I'm aware of weighted STAs. Already have one. I want to add trim weights to the bottom of the backplate though.

I guess the easy way out could be to drill a few holes and tie your trim pouches to those with paracord or bungee. Similar to how subgravity pouches in #5 attach but without the need for 2.5" slot.

PS you could do it the way @The Chairman attaches weights to cambands, there's a thread w/ pictures around somewhere, but basically pull a loop of bungee cord through the holes, then through the slots in the weights, and wrap it around. Substitute paracord if bungee's too bouncy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom