Add-on strobe for DC1000

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lobzilla

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
What strobe(s) do you guys recommed for a bare DC1000 and a budget concious hobby photographer who is new to underwater photography?

I started out using a single Sealife Strobe and then added a second. The complaints regarding how little room there is between the strobe arm(s) and housing is valid but I have small hands and find it to be no problem. Plus, I can hold the housing with only my right hand with index finger on the shutter button and thumb ready to switch between still and video modes . . leaving my left hand free for other chores such as helping to maintain position with regard to my subject(s) - which can be necessary if there is much of a current. The strobes and camera can be too positively buoyant so I added the Sealife weight. Note: if you do add a second strobe, you will need to order a longer thumb turning fastener to fit all the way through both arm mounts - it doesn't come in any strobe or housing kit - to secure both strobes to the bottom of the housing. The Sealife strobe arms are short and not nearly as capable of positioning away from close up subjects but the trade-off is that the strobes and housing are more stream lined and pose less drag when swimming. I enjoy moving swiftly during video recording so a light rig capable of being held in one hand while recording is a nice plus!
Each strobe runs about $350.00 which is also very cheap compared to many others. However, I also purchased diffusers for each strobe separately which soften the flash nicely.

Back
Top Bottom