Adapting a 46mm threaded lens to fit a 67mm threaded housing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Can it be done?

I have several Epoque 46mm lenses (wide angle, macro and various filters) that I bought for my Oly SP-350 & OEM housing.

I am upgrading camera & housing soon...and all of my options seem to have a 67mm thread for wet lenses.

Is there a conversion, to use my 46mm lenses on a 67mm thread housing...or will I be putting my old lenses on Ebay??

You can use step-adapters, but there are two issues. First, going from a larger port to a smaller lens, second increasing the distance from port to lens due to either one or two step down adapters may cause vignetting or focus issues. You won't know till you try it. Step downs are relatively cheap, so it's worth a try. Here are a couple of options.
67mm-46mm Step-Down ring adapter filter size 67 to 46: 67/46~c EVERFULL -- SLR & Video Camera Accessories: Lenses, Filters, flash and more
67mm-46mm 67-46 mm Step down Filter Adapter Ring Black - eBay (item 370389375139 end time Jun-29-10 23:31:12 PDT)

DevoDiver,
cou would need one or various step-down adapters and this will lead - as you can immagine- in heavy vignetting.
Consider that the old 46mm lenses have about 40% the size of the new M67 lenses, so you will have circular photos and cropping them you will loose again some of the picture.

Put them on ebay and buy a 67mm lens, you will enjoy it this way much more.

Chris

Since we don't know what camera or housing or exact lenses the answer is unknown. My bet, is I could get some of them to work with my S90/FIX90 but that is just a hunch. For that housing I would probably start with the FIX single piece 52mm port ring, not the 67mm three piece kit.

I would take a 47mm to 52mm step up ring and cut the threaded section (52mm threads) off so that the now modified adapter and 47mm threads sat down completely flush inside the FIX 52mm port adapter. I would now test fit my lens and notice if there is port contact, any shimming or centering needed. I would fab the required shims from aluminum stock if needed and then I would epoxy the whole thing together with something like EA9309 high strength structural epoxy. I would now have a zero stack Nemrod adapter. YRMV, my bet, I could make them work.

This is the concept, a macro lens, originally 47mm but set down into in this case a 67mm filter ring:

DSCF0008.jpg

Many things are possible, the question is will the resulting IQ and efforts and time be worth it? Sometimes yes and sometimes no. I love a challenge, especially when somebody tells me I cannot use the Inon UFL165AD with blah, blah, twice now I have fabricated a method to use my fav lens with excellent results despite being told that it would not work, that it cannot work or that the IQ would be poor etc and etc. Yeah, uh, huh, whatever.

Oh, the little macro lens there, yep, it works nicely but here is the thing, macro bores the c---p out of me, sorry. I got some pics with it of some stupid snails and beats me sorta critters I cannot see with my naked eye, yawn. Wake me up when it is over please.

N

Oh, the little macro lens there, yep, it works nicely but here is the thing, macro bores the c---p out of me, sorry. I got some pics with it of some stupid snails and beats me sorta critters I cannot see with my naked eye, yawn. Wake me up when it is over please.

N

Tell us how you really feel, no need to hold back:D

I love good WA shots, I just have not been able to get very many good ones -

Back
Top Bottom