Adapter stuck on DIN reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JeepinDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
A while back I purchased a SP Mk2 DIN reg that had an XS Scuba DIN-to-yoke adapter stuck on it. I figured that I would be able to remove the adapter without much trouble. I was wrong. I cannot get this adapter to budge and I'm looking for suggestions.

I was able to remove the DIN assembly from the rest of the reg, and the yoke portion came off of the threaded part of the adapter. But the remaining 2 pieces will not separate. I'm trying very hard not to ruin either part, but I will sacrifice the adapter if I have to. Here's what I have tried so far:

- Entire remaining pieces in an ultrasonic with 50/50 solution of water/white vinegar
- Freeze parts and then dip the adapter piece in very hot water
- Little bit of PB Blaster on threads and let it sit a few min, (then cleaned again quickly)
- Pipe/monkey wrench on adapter with a rubber cushion (trying not to eat up the chrome on adapter)
- Overnight soak in plain water

So far, nothing. I've attached a couple of pics so that you can see what I'm working with. (Don't mind the haze on the metal. I took the pics after taking it out of the freezer.)

Any suggestions?

Mods, feel free to move this to the DIY section if that's where this thread belongs.

Attachments

• 20200516_185815.jpg
    20200516_185815.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 188
  • 20200516_185147.jpg
    20200516_185147.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 180
I had a similar problem a few years ago. Luckily I was able to get it off with a pair of vice grips a pipe wrench and liberal elbow grease. I chewed up the black plastic "handle" in your second pic when I was getting it apart. It looks slightly rough but still totally usable.

I think I remember one of the components being reverse threaded. You should be able to visually examine them to confirm/deny this before making your problem worse.

After that incident I gave up on adapters. I went to just swapping the reg over between yoke and din kits sold by the manufacturer. If you have both sets of parts, it's simple to do - even at a dive site with minimal tools from a SAD bag.

Trying to hold it to allow enough leverage to remove it is the problem. I had a similar situation and held it in a lathe chuck with soft jaws made out of copper pipe which allowed me to apply the leverage required to break it free without damaging the threads.

I know it is counterintuitive but sometimes trying to tighten the connection slightly can break the seal that is holding the threads as can tapping around the junction with something solid..

Tap either piece briskly with a hard mallet to fracture verdigris crystals. It if there's an area you don't mind getting a flat dent, use a hammer. Strike the pieces along the longitudinal axis.
Then waste the money on enough WD-40 to either immerse the locked threads, or keep sluicing WD-40 over the crack between the parts several times a day for 4-7 days. Avoid the urge to test out any loosening. Just go away and come back.
Then use any of the non-marring disassembly suggestions above. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

just keep trying all the above....

Lots of good suggestions. I have encountered this situation a number of times, on personal gear and customer gear. My approach is to first attempt to dissolve the crystalline build up on the threads. I have used a lubricant such as WD-40. I have also used a cleaning solution such as Crystal Simple Green, or Blue Gold. But, I prefer to use a slightly acidic hydrosonic cleaning solution (e.g. Global Scuba Manufacturing Hydrosonic Cleaner), applying a few drops to the threads with a dropper. Then I let it sit for several hours and see if that breaks the seal between the threads. Several applications are often used. If that fails, I will remove the yoke screw from the DIN-to-Yoke adapter, and put the 'A-clamp' portion of the adapter in a bench vise. I usually put aluminum magnetic jaw clamps (e.g. 2 PACK MAGNETIC VISE JAW) on the vise to minimize scratching the adapter. Then, with channel lock pliers or Vise Grips, with the jaws wrapped in electrician's tape, I turn the hand wheel on the DIN regulator to loosen the connection. In the picture, the first stage has a metal hand wheel, but many / most have plastic hand wheels which are softer, so I make sure I have a firm grip before attempting to unscrew the wheel (to avoid scoring the hand wheel).

Attachments

• REG WITH ADAPTER AND TEXT.jpg
    REG WITH ADAPTER AND TEXT.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 119

Back
Top Bottom