Activ X?? why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RICHinNC

Contributor
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, why am I constantly getting popup windows on this site to down load Activ X ?

Activ X is not a good thing and allows hackers easy access to your pc. Any particular reason the site uses things that require Activ X and thus puts our machines in harms way?

thanks
rich

Rich, what web browser are you using?

I use Firefox and just tried IE6, no popup.

Have you run a anti-spyware program recently? Check your machine.

edited because of a brain fart

The advertisers use active-x for their advertisements. This is how we pay the bills to keep all four servers clicking along. All of them are checked for viruses before they are put up.

As for advertising "pop-ups"... we don't allow that on this forum. Not now and not ever!

Actually nothing on the site should use active x... the banners displayed will use flash (which is produced and packaged by Adobe) but active x is not used. As far as why you are getting warnings related to it, either your security settings are set waaaaay too high and all scripts are being flagged or you have some sort of spyware.

What I am getting is a popup that says certain things require Active X.

Advertisers using it is one thing....but ...it creates an easy entry point for hackers.
And yes, you can bet your bippy I have high security settings.

As for what am I running.....Explorer on Prof XP ...Service Pack 2. And I have a good bit of ANTI spy ware.

RICHinNC:
What I am getting is a popup that says certain things require Active X.

Advertisers using it is one thing....but ...it creates an easy entry point for hackers.
And yes, you can bet your bippy I have high security settings.

As for what am I running.....Explorer on Prof XP ...Service Pack 2. And I have a good bit of ANTI spy ware.

Active X is not used on this site so if you are getting warnings they are coming from something else. The technologies scubaboard uses are html, javascript, css and flash, none of which pose Active X security threats as none use Active X.

I will see if I can captive a screen print.

well...no matter what i do....i cant capture a pic it. But i still get it every thirty seconds or so....the attempt to download an activ x of some kind from the board to my machine.....oh well

There's a wooden horse in your neighborhood, Rich.

I had one in my pooter at work. Took me two days finally to isolate it and get rid of it.

"Beware of Greeks bearing gifts . . ."

the K

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom