Aching pain in chest after pool session

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WhiteSands

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,
I'm currently on a dive course and have 3 pool sessions to complete, 2 shallow and 1 deep.

The shallow pool is only 1.8m.

I noticed after the last 2 shallow pool sessions that I have a pain in the chest the next day. It feels like my lungs are hurting.

It's an aching kind of pain.

The sessions are about 5 hours long each. Mostly working on my trim and buoyancy, and drills involving long hose deployment / air share and propulsion.

On the first session I used 1 AL80 tank of air. On the 2nd session I used 1-1/2 tanks.

Is the pain anything to worry about?

Thanks.

You should definitely figure out exactly what is involved in your chest pain--it could be so many things. For example, it could be musculo-skeletal--muscle strain from being in an unaccustomed position for hours, or just overuse. It could be gastro-intestinal--reflux can cause noticeable chest pain that can be severe enough to mimic a heart attack, and reflux can be triggered by exertion of the sort you were doing. It could actually be due to breathing--filling your lungs extra full all day long while having your ribcage constricted by your harness so it can't expand, causing irritation (like wearing tight shoes all day long, in a way). So before you can know whether to worry or just chew a couple of Tums, you really need to know what's causing the chest pain.

Let a real live doctor examine you to help you figure it out rather than coming online to get a diagnosis :wink:

Is the pain anything to worry about?
Thanks.

Hi WhiteSands,

Yes, chest pain of uncertain etiology is always of concern.

Have it checked out.

Cheers,

DocVikingo

I'll just put in a third. The differential diagnosis of chest pain is a long one, with some very specific thing that could result from diving. Since the pain was significant enough for you to ask about it here, I'd get it evaluated by a physician who can actually take a history and do a physical exam.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom