Achieving Neutral Buoyancy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

xaveri

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I recently purchased a Canon A590 IS with it's Ikelite housing and a double handle tray. Along with that I have attached a Pixtreme PX-21 strobe, which is a small strobe.

canon_A590IS_Ikelite.jpg

This thing weights much more than my previous setup, at least 3-4 pounds underwater, which is affecting my buoyancy severely. I find myself adjusting the air on my BC when I have the camera attached while swimming, then adjusting it again when I detach it to take pictures. Since there is more weight in my hands, my feet and lower torso tend to float up, so it's really bothering me.

The solution of course is to make the rig neutrally buoyant. I know there are some pads you can attach to strobe arms but I don't have articulated strobe arms, just a plain bendable arm.

Are there any options, ideas or DIY solutions to make my rig neutrally buoyant?

I made some bouyancy tubes out of ABS for my video rig. They helped a great deal.

You can experiment with attaching foam padding to whichever part of your setup is heaviest. I've seen many people wrap foam around their strobe arms, for example, to help lighten the load. Just use duct or cloth tape while you're experimenting with what works, then find a more permanent way to attach it once you find something that works for you.

Hope that helps!

Back
Top Bottom