Accidents and Incidents and Advanced Scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pdelannoy

Contributor
Reaction score
Accidents and Incidents: When I first joined Scubaboard I was really intrigued by this forum because I saw it as a vehicle to troubleshoot my own development as a diver and avoid certain mistakes. But quite frankly I am dismayed by the useless drivel that is passing for accident analysis. Posts are made based on a newspaper clipping or video from local news and then with no other information members are going wild with their speculation and opinion. There must be a better way to present the findings of particular near misses and or accidents because what currently is happening is not benefiting anyone and in many cases is damaging to various instructors and family members of victims.

Secondly, in the Advanced Scuba Discussion forum there seems to be a great deal of hostility directed at anyone that raises questions about the various certification agencies in addition to the presentation of a basic opinion that flies in the face of the status quo. I don't think this is healthy. Once again, how can you have a debate if some members with thousands of dives shout down the rest of us. It seems that some are just lurking around with the intention to ambush.

I think scuba is an amazing past time and devote countless hours doing it and spending countless dollars funding it. I am surprised by the shear lack of objectivity in the two forums mentioned above.

PD:idk:

Last edited:
Yep, there sure is, but they won't reorganize Accidents & Incidents with the subcategory-SOBS-speculation, opinions, BS

Accidents and Incidents: When I first joined Scubaboard I was really intrigued by this forum because I saw it as a vehicle to troubleshoot my own development as a diver and avoid certain mistakes. But quite frankly I am dismayed by the useless drivel that is passing for accident analysis. Posts are made based on a newspaper clipping or video from local news and then with no other information members are going wild with their speculation and opinion. There must be a better way to present the findings of particular near misses and or accidents because what currently is happening is not benefiting anyone and in many cases is damaging to various instructors and family members of victims.

Secondly, in the Advanced Scuba Discussion forum there seems to be a great deal of hostility directed at anyone that raises questions about the various certification agencies in addition to the presentation of a basic opinion that flies in the face of the status quo. I don't think this is healthy. Once again, how can you have a debate if some members with thousands of dives shout down the rest of us. It seems that some are just lurking around with the intention to ambush.

I think scuba is an amazing past time and devote countless hours doing it and spending countless dollars funding it. I am surprised by the shear lack of objectivity in the two forums mentioned above.

PD:idk:

Thanks for the feedback.

The Accidents and Incidents forum is extremely popular to read, and extremely volatile. We don't want to act like big brother here, and censor what people have to say. We limit the A&I forum to some extent, but

Posts are made based on a newspaper clipping or video from local news and then with no other information members are going wild with their speculation and opinion

Well... yeah. How else can people learn from the potential pitfalls of diving? Whenever there is a death in diving; this kind of objection to the way it's discussed on SB also comes out.

There have been ideas to make moderated forums, separate forums, private forums, etc. But in the end... everyone ends up back in A&I. It's important to learn from other's mistakes (or lack thereof) so here we are.

Like most topics related to Scuba, there are many ways to do things. Most people think their way is right, and many are passionate about diving, and the way they do it.
Many topics will cause arguments... that's just how it is. When you put 10 divers in a room together, they all won't agree... when you put 100,000 divers in a forum together...

Back
Top Bottom