Accident in Key Largo (Duane)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaMarine

Reaction score
I was on a boat bound for the Spiegel when the current was too much so we made our way to the Duane. At the site we found a small boat maybe a 10ft skiff with a man in the water another on board and a woman yelling for help. We got close enough to inquire about what was going on as our DM prepared to transfer boats if necessary.

Apparently what happened was the three of these people were on a private boat that may have been too small for a deep wreck like the duane. All three had planned to dive but the captain and last off the boat had attempted a rolling backward entry and caught the muscle of his calf on the cleat of the boat. When we arrived the woman had returned to the boat and was holding the mans calf to his leg as blood dripped from many places. The third man was still in the water and trying to get back in. Neither the third man nor the woman knew what procedures to follow. Our captain talked them through getting in the boat, calling 911, applying pressure and elevating the wound. They had no first aid supplies, no cell phone and no idea how to return to the port without their captains navigation. The captain was near faint and a diver from our boat local to Key Largo volunteered to board them and bring them to port. He did so and they headed back to land.

We heard later the man was in the hospital with a calf fully torn from the rest of leg and likely in surgery, but he was ok and an ambulance had been waiting.

ouch...

well, glad they didn't end up in much worse straights thanks to you all

Wow, sounds like a near-disaster-gone-better. Glad to hear the captain is getting better and everyone is safe again. I'm sure they learned some valuable lessons for future diving. I'm no expert, but I also keep reading the strong recommendation that someone captain the vessel during all dives. Makes sense to me.

Foo

*reminder to self:

Don't backflip off a boat next to a cleat. That hurts just thinking about it.

ouch....glad the captain is recovering, but that's one helluva way to learn a lesson...

Glad to hear that the person should be OK but i can't imagine how in the heck it happened :06:

That must have been a very big and sharp cleat to be able to snare his calf muscle and tear it. Man I'm shuddering just typing this.....that had to be painful beyond belief. They are lucky he didn't go into shock, which is what sometimes happens when a body reaches it pain tolerance level.

Wildbill:cop_2:

Yikes - glad everyone seems ok.

However, this is why I'll never, ever, ever get on a private boat for a dive without a First air kit, Marine radio and DAN (or equivelent) O2 kit.

Seriously - there is too much stuff that can happen out there. Even the skiffs I dived off of in Belize and in Mexico all have FAK's, O2 and radios. Gotta have them.

---
Ken

PS: Actually, the only exception was when I didn't know any better, and I dived off of Uncle Pug (the boat.) There was a radio and a FAK, but in looking back, I don't think there was O2.

Mo2vation:
However, this is why I'll never, ever, ever get on a private boat for a dive without a First air kit, Marine radio and DAN (or equivelent) O2 kit.
Well, my Whaler sports a first air (nitrox actually :wink:) kit, first aid kit with airway stuff (Snowbear don't DO mouth to mouth :11: ), Marine radio linked to the GPS.

If you ever make it this far north, Mo2, I'll drag along a tank of O2 and the means to administer it :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom