Accident analysis: Almost killed myself. . . three times!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Archangel

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Dear All:

I am now foolhardy enough to call myself an "experienced" diver. I neglected the basic and foundational lessons learned in basic OW class; and I wish to share this with all of you to remind us all that fundamentals are just that.

I was diving with two other excellent divers, the diveleader being much more experienced than I. We had dived all weekend and this was the dive first thing Sunday morning. Having dived numerous times with these two, we all could sense and anticipate what each other were doing, as well as each others needs. This is what makes diving great.

Welp, Murphy of Murphy's Law was alive and well and ready to kill me on the surface before the dive. I helped Murphy as all of us neglected the pre-dive safety check.

We had done it so many times before, that we neglected to do it on this particular dive. We didnt check each other's air. Without going into the specifics of HOW it happened, my valve wasnt completely turned on, and on the surface, my regs both breathed normally.

Not until we descended to 107 fsw did my reg start to breathe hard. Being rescue trained. I stopped, breathed, thought. . . checked my lines to make sure that they werent kinked. Again, Murphy was watching as I neglected to check my valve. The ONLY thing that assisted me in not advancing to panic and bolting to the surface was my training.

So for 25 minutes we did staged ascents. I breathed carefully on my reg and watched the needle on my SPG bounce. We did psi checks all the way up and I never let my divebuddies know what was going on.

Wrong!

At any point in time, I could have buddy breathed and made a slow controlled ascent.

That was my ego, being narc'd and bravado at play here.

Also, as I have learned, it is not one thing that kills you, it is a series of things that overwhelm the diver.

Murphy was setting a trap for all of us.

Because every tech, DIR, and deep water diver has been taught you float an ascent line when going deep.

Well, we didnt, and the strong current pushed all of us out into the open ocean. . . right into the shipping lanes.

We "experienced divers" leveled off at 15 feet for five minutes. . .

at any time, a pleasure boat or ferry could have cut us in half and chewed us to pieces.

Not until breaking the surface, did I realize that Murphy was in full swing.

I informed my buddies about my reg breathing hard, and was told that we would NOT descend. We now needed to surface swim out of the open ocean, back into the dive park, fighting a strong current.

One of my buddies almost dropped his weights we were having so much trouble surface swimming.

Again, I write this as a lesson to us all. I have learned from my mistakes and ask all of you to learn from them also.

I have realized that if you can make it past your first 12 dives without killing yourself, you are golden. The second chance you have to kill yourself is between 50-100 dives.

The fundamentals have been culled from accident analysis. They are inviolate rules to keep us alive.

Happy and safe diving to all,

Thank you the reminder to never skips the basics. Glad you all made it back safe and sound.

Thank you man, stay safe Blackfin,

Tevis

You should have told me, I would have rather left on Sunday morning then so that I could hear that Ferry hull knock some sense into you guys........haha. Were you too busy looking at the SPG to realize there was a strong current flowing towards the shipping lane? How does three people not realize what is going on? Is that because this was a "follow me" dive? Were the two of you following the leader blindly? How would floating an ascent line have helped, do you think those Ferries could turn to avoid you guys fast enough? HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Murphy doesnt set traps....................he is always there and looks on.............

Praetor:
Almost killed myself. . . three times!

jeeez.. you're not very good at killing yourself, are you?

:wink:

seriously, that seemed like a series of events that might have pushed some
divers over the edge and into tragedy.

good job keeping your head

I've had my nose rubbed twice in the importance of TEAM. The reason we are a team is that things go wrong sometimes, and you need those other people. There is no shame in involving your team members in a problem, because the problem is the TEAM's problem. I'm not trying to lecture -- I'm more saying this to beat it into my OWN brain yet again.

I again thank you all for your responses.

The sea is a jealous and ominous mistress, ready to bite us in the butt when we become complacent.

Good post Tevis.

A good reminder to not slack off of buddy checks no-matter how many times you have dived with them, and to LET YOUR BUDDIES KNOW SOMETHING IS WRONG!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom