Acceptable amount of corrosion/discoloration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Abz

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm trying to see if I can give an old oceanic delta 2 regulator a second lease of life. I took the regulator apart and cleaned everything (soapy water followed by vinegar for the metalic parts that needed it). I want to know if the regulator is salvageable/safe to use considering the state of the parts?

The regulator was not free flowing nor did it have anything obviously wrong with it before I took it apart for service.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2021-05-12 at 19.40.36(2).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-05-12 at 19.40.36(2).jpeg
    44.2 KB · Views: 163
  • WhatsApp Image 2021-05-12 at 19.40.36(1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-05-12 at 19.40.36(1).jpeg
    36 KB · Views: 157
  • WhatsApp Image 2021-05-12 at 19.40.36.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-05-12 at 19.40.36.jpeg
    28.2 KB · Views: 161
Not uncommon for Oceanics. I have seen worse. I have no idea how they justify using pot metal in their regs to save a few bucks.

Not uncommon for Oceanics. I have seen worse. I have no idea how they justify using pot metal in their regs to save a few bucks.
Is it problematic though? every check I did on the regulator suggests that it is perfectly divable (is that a word?)

Christopher Walken was standing with Clint Eastwood on the carpet at an industry function, dozens upon dozens
of photographers flash flash flash ten million times a second and Christopher Walken exclaims to Clint Eastwood
"I cant see anything!” and Clint Eastwood says “I can't see anything anyway.”

Christopher Walken was standing with Clint Eastwood on the carpet at an industry function, dozens upon dozens
of photographers flash flash flash a million times a second and Christopher Walken exclaims to Clint Eastwood
"I cant see anything!” and Clint Eastwood says “I can't see anything anyway.”

Uhhh Sorry I don't follow.

I'm new to regulator servicing and was looking for advice....

That reg is perfectly fine for re-use. Those parts are in good shape, and the ONLY part that matters is the orifice (assuming that the diaphragm is also intact). If the knife edge of the orifice is smooth, it will mate with a new seat easily. If not, you can polish it with a pencil eraser or Micromesh ultrafine buffing pads. The rest of the parts aren't a factor, because the orifice holder doesn't move, so it doesn't matter as long as you can screw the orifice back in. The other part - the microadjust for cracking effort, is mated to a plastic piece, so it will adjust easily.

The only part that doesn't look ready to go is the piston for the microadjust. The shaft of that part is sealed with a small o-ring in a balance-chamber-like device, so I would polish the shaft until it's smoother. That's the one weak point of that particular Oceanic regulator design. It's also a bit of a hassle to reassemble, unless you do it frequently.

The second stage is much more forgiving of abuse and corrosion, since it's a medium pressure device with a replaceable seal. The first stage may be another matter, because the areas where o-rings seal may have to withstand 3000 psi.

Uhhh Sorry I don't follow.

I'm new to regulator servicing and was looking for advice....

I am thine stupid one

Here is the smart one

That reg is perfectly fine for re-use. Those parts are in good shape, and the ONLY part that matters is the orifice (assuming that the diaphragm is also intact). If the knife edge of the orifice is smooth, it will mate with a new seat easily. If not, you can polish it with a pencil eraser or Micromesh ultrafine buffing pads. The rest of the parts aren't a factor, because the orifice holder doesn't move, so it doesn't matter as long as you can screw the orifice back in. The other part - the microadjust for cracking effort, is mated to a plastic piece, so it will adjust easily.

The only part that doesn't look ready to go is the piston for the microadjust. The shaft of that part is sealed with a small o-ring in a balance-chamber-like device, so I would polish the shaft until it's smoother. That's the one weak point of that particular Oceanic regulator design. It's also a bit of a hassle to reassemble, unless you do it frequently.

The second stage is much more forgiving of abuse and corrosion, since it's a medium pressure device with a replaceable seal. The first stage may be another matter, because the areas where o-rings seal may have to withstand 3000 psi.

Man, with this info the reg will be able to service itself if it hasn't already

Yeah cool and he seems to be doing a fine job already

I cleaned the shaft of the balance piston and soaked it in vinegar but it does have extensive discoloration. More importantly there is a lot of play when the stem is through the O-ring, it feels rather loose. I assembled the regulator and tested it by dunking it in water and purging, I could not see any bubbles escaping from the adjustment knob side. The photo below is from the other second stage I cleaned, this one is more discolored than the original photos I posted above.

Question is, should I replace the balance the stem? (I found it online for 3 dollars a peice) or is ok to dive since it doesn't appear to be leaking?

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2021-05-13 at 18.35.10.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-05-13 at 18.35.10.jpeg
    24.3 KB · Views: 122
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom