abandoned anchor in jamaica

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

skotman1

New
Reaction score
# of dives
can anyone help me date this anchor (just off negril, jamaica)? or perhaps direct me to where i can find the info.....thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1825s.jpg
    IMG_1825s.jpg
    320.4 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_1827s.jpg
    IMG_1827s.jpg
    386.6 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_1830s.jpg
    IMG_1830s.jpg
    375.9 KB · Views: 180
I will put it at 1780-1810. The crown comes to a point and on the later models of the Admiralty anchor they are more rounded as with the palms your are rounded and do not come to a point.
You can find out more info in a book called Anchors an illustrated history by Betty Nelson Curryer.
This looks like it would have been a wood cross arm anchor the newer ones had a wood stock or steel stock.
Your anchor was broken at the shaft and is very common I have found more than ten anchors that had broken shafts. And believe it is do to anchor having bad metal and getting twisted under torque going through the hawsepipe.
That anchor can be lifted with a 1000 pound bag. I bring up several a year go to my info under pic's and you can see several of my finds.
Ed

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom