Abaco or other islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Heifina

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello,

I am planning my trip to the bahamas for Sept and I am looking into which island to visit. We love to dive however we are also avid snorkelers and like to only spend about half our time diving and half our time at the beach and snorkeling. I am looking for an island that would meet our needs.

I have been thinking about abaco (we like laid back islands that are not too crowded). I know they have wonderful beaches and pretty good diving. Does anyone know if they have good snorkeling as well that is accesible from the beach? If not does anyone have any other islands they would recommend?

Thanks for the help!

Hello,

I am planning my trip to the bahamas for Sept and I am looking into which island to visit. We love to dive however we are also avid snorkelers and like to only spend about half our time diving and half our time at the beach and snorkeling. I am looking for an island that would meet our needs.

I have been thinking about abaco (we like laid back islands that are not too crowded). I know they have wonderful beaches and pretty good diving. Does anyone know if they have good snorkeling as well that is accesible from the beach? If not does anyone have any other islands they would recommend?

Thanks for the help!
Abaco has great diving and snorkeling. If you stay in or around Marsh Harbour, I'd definitely recommend Dive Abaco. They've been around forever and Keith, the owner, will take you to some awesome sites to dive, snorkel (or both). They'll even do all the work and put a dive package together for you. Their website is www.diveabaco.com. Give 'em a shout.

Other diving operations to visit in Great Abaco if you get a chance

Dive Guana - Great Guana Cay -- Troy Albury is very laid back and runs a great operation, Great Guana Cay's population is very small and laid back.

Brendals Dive Center - Greet Turtle Cay -- Brendal is an Abaco institution

Froggies - Hopetown Elbow Cay -- nice operation in the most picturesque harbor in Abaco

In addition to the above there is a very good operator at Treasure Key.

We just got back from a great trip to Small Hope Bay Lodge on Andros Island. It is an all inclusive resort with good food and comfortable, but rustic facilities. Three boat dives a day, a two tank in the morning and a single tank in the afternoon. Good snorkeling from their beach alond with use of Kayaks and Hobbie Cats.

They are a little sendy, but worth the cost. The staff is top notch and the diving is fantastic!

They are closed for their annual refurb in September. Check on status of anything in the Bahamas late next week, after Hanna and Ike.

Jim Hiatt

I second the recommendation for Dive Abaco. I did my certification there and went on a number of dives after completing the certification. Keith does most of his trips to the Fowl Cay Preserve a tremendous area for snorkeling or diving. I made a dozen dives with him and never visited the same site. He knows the reefs and makes every dive a treat. You can stay at Conch Inn and Marina as a package deal. Keith's shop and boat are at the marina. We stayed on our boat at the marina for about two months last winter. It makes a great base of operations.

From Marsh Harbor, you can shore dive/snorkel Mermaid Reef which is a shallow reef on the Sea of Abaco. From Hopetown, you can snorkel another shallow unnamed reef off of the beach in front of the Church.

From Great Guana Cay, you can shore dive the reefs in front of Nippers when conditions are good. My son in law tried it one day and got smashed on some rocks. Luckily he was only bruised and scratched.

The prettiest place in the Abacos is, in my opinion, Hope Town on Elbow Cay. All of these places can be reached easily by ferry or rent your own boat. The waters are very protected in the Sea of Abaco.

Herb DuBois

Back
Top Bottom