Abaco, Marsh Harbour

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bikefox

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm headed to Marsh Harbour and I'm having a hard time finding much information on diving. I

I'm staying at the Regattas Abaco. I found Dive Abaco and Above and Below Abaco. Any other ops? What about the diving itself? Any information would be great.

Thanks

What about the diving itself? Any information would be great.
Thanks
I was there back in the mid 1980's. I remember there was a dive shop on Great Guana Cay and Man O' War Cay. To the East of Marsh Harbor is a chain of barrier islands that include Great Guana Cay, Man O' War Cay, Green Turtle Cay, Elbow Cay, and many more. The diving is not that great right off Marsh Harbor because it's Eastern coastline is in a bay but the diving is good off of the barrier islands on the ocean side. I particularly remember the reef off Great Guana Cay was impressive. We were just snorkeling and did not use a scuba operation.
Hope this helps.
-Chris

I'm headed to Marsh Harbour and I'm having a hard time finding much information on diving. I

I'm staying at the Regattas Abaco. I found Dive Abaco and Above and Below Abaco. Any other ops? What about the diving itself? Any information would be great.

Thanks

Not sure if you've made your trip yet, but there are dive ops on Elbow, Guana, Treasure and Marsh Harbour. Best thing to do in my opinion is rent tanks and dive off your own rental boat. Buy The Cruising Guide to Abaco by Steve Dodge. The back has charts marking the dive bouys off Guana and Fowl Cay. The diving there is top notch! I've been twice and am heading back in July '08. There is also good diving at Sandy Cay (lots of spotted eagle rays). Diving off your own boat is the only way to go. The Abacos are easy to navigate. Just get the chart guide and steer clear of anything brown on the Atlantic side (reef).

Not sure if you've made your trip yet, but there are dive ops on Elbow, Guana, Treasure and Marsh Harbour. Best thing to do in my opinion is rent tanks and dive off your own rental boat. Buy The Cruising Guide to Abaco by Steve Dodge. The back has charts marking the dive bouys off Guana and Fowl Cay. The diving there is top notch! I've been twice and am heading back in July '08. There is also good diving at Sandy Cay (lots of spotted eagle rays). Diving off your own boat is the only way to go. The Abacos are easy to navigate. Just get the chart guide and steer clear of anything brown on the Atlantic side (reef).

I thought of this, but it is just two of us. I don't really like the idea of no one on the boat while we are diving. I'm really looking forward to the trip. It looks like they may get hit with some bad weather (Tropical Storm Noel).

Just got back from diving on Guana last week. Dive Guana folks are great, but they only run the boats if enough people show up and this time of year it's iffy. Be sure and talk to whomever you wind up diving with about Plan B for low turnout.

That said, the dives with Guana were great. Went to Fowl Cay and saw ton of sharks, rays, barracuda, etc.

Great Plan - that's exactly what I did when they canceled our third day of diving. But beware - two grabbers erases your memory! :)

We had a great trip. Dove with Above and Below Abaco. Kay was willing to take just the two of us out. She said they haven't been dive much lately and that was the fun part of the job. At least we paid for the gas (she probably didn't make much else). Great dive op. We dove Sandy Cay and several sites off of Guana and Scotland cay. Some of the best swim through I've ever seen.

I know what you mean about the Grabbers and Nippers!!

Next time I think I'll do the boat rental thing. I see it can be pretty easy to do it yourself.

Last year I went there with my husband and another couple for 4 days and used Above and Below Abaco.
As a general rule I dislike most of the operators that cater to tourist because they tend to treat you as if you were retarded. This wasn't the case here, at least not too much, during our visit I felt they were as flexible as a charter that caters to locals would've been.
The other couple did the planning and we joined them, unknown to us all the dives were to be guided and that goes against my idea of fun. So... somewhere in the middle of the trip I had it, and as always reacted in a less than peaceful manner. I got tricky for a moment but we all got over and the trip continued unguided for my husband and me.

Back
Top Bottom