AA Cancels CZM Flights Between May 25th and June 4th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

horn34

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Bizarre. You can still book a flight today through Sunday, but then AA is taking a 10 day route break.

i don't think the airline industry even understands the airline industry. haha

i don't think the airline industry even understands the airline industry. haha
I think that's it. The panic may be overwhelming. If I ask AA.com for flights from Lubbock to Cozumel on May 25, returning June 2, first they quote cheap fares with an overnight in DFW on return with so many planes in storage, but then if I try to book - it fails.

It's very hard to run an airline these days and it's not going to get any easier any time soon. The CDC announced recently that they have seen evidence of coronavirus loading on sub micron particles, which means that air filters on airlines would likely not stop them from circulating.

It's very hard to run an airline these days and it's not going to get any easier any time soon. The CDC announced recently that they have seen evidence of coronavirus loading on sub micron particles, which means that air filters on airlines would likely not stop them from circulating.

The CDC has said a lot of things... Including initially that wearing masks did nothing and discouraged their use. Now it recommends wearing masks... Go figure. Do you actually believe anything the CDC has to say these days? It is just another example of a failed government agency that exists to suck up $ to support a clueless staff. If you want to place your life in the hands of what the CDC or the failed WHO tells you to do day-to-day be my guest.

One recent study concluded that even basic surgical masks worn by the infected and the non infected in close proximity can reduce transmission rates dramatically. Up the ante to the airlines providing and requiring that N95 masks be worn by ALL air travelers (no exceptions) on top of initial screenings and the risk is very, very low of contracting this virus on an airplane that already utilizes HEPA cabin filtration. If the FAA mandates a decrease in the % of cabin air airlines are permitted to recirculate to save fuel the risk goes even lower. However, the FAA and the airlines have been noticeably silent regarding taking such actions.

The CDC has said a lot of things... Including initially that wearing masks did nothing and discouraged their use. Now it recommends wearing masks... Go figure. Do you actually believe anything the CDC has to say these days?
As a matter of fact, I do. This is a new situation for everyone and new information is coming in all the time. Just because they were mistaken about something early on doesn't mean that they will be wrong about everything they say forever. I could go into why it is that the performance of many government agencies is not where it should be IMO, but I will refrain.

BTW, what they said was that wearing masks isn't as effective at protecting an individual from becoming infected as it is at preventing someone from infecting someone else, which is still the case. They have now realized that two masks between an infected person and an uninfected one is better than one, so they amended their recommendation.

Talked with a friend in the Park Cities (Dallas) and his brother is a pilot for Southwest flying daily.

No reported problems and no sign that air travel is a vector for infection.

a pilot for Southwest flying daily.

No reported problems and no sign that air travel is a vector for infection.
I think that he is required to say that.

Any other airlines go on a slowdown? Did American do it on any other routes?

What airlines are gonna be flying here when life returns to normal? I thought I seen someone bow out - I don’t really pay attention to airlines.

Any other airlines go on a slowdown? Did American do it on any other routes?

What airlines are gonna be flying here when life returns to normal? I thought I seen someone bow out - I don’t really pay attention to airlines.
Looks like Sun Country and United have scheduled flights resuming in July. Subject to change! As I've noted elsewhere, July seems like a weird time to resume flights. There is some tourist traffic by Mexicans in July -- it's the traditional summer vacation season for them -- but when August rolls around, it's the bottom of low season until Thanksgiving. And August-September is peak hurricane season.

Southwest (see the other thread) has removed CZM through it's end of schedule in October. Delta said they were, "closing the Cozumel station", but I'm not certain that carries any extra weight. The infrastructure is here, and they certainly have plenty of planes and crews available.

Until July, to paraphrase Henry Ford, "If you like American Airlines, we have a tremendous selection!"

Back
Top Bottom