AA Battery Adapters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dmoore19

Denizen of the PUB
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Has anyone tried any of these in their dive lights?

https://www.depoteco.com/SPD/eneloop-c-size-adapters---spacers--2-aa---800002C0-1302202442.jsp

I already have enough AA re-chargable batteries to run my strobe and my video light and a charger to keep the 3 sets charged.

I do 1 or 2 night dives a week while on vacation in clear Caribbean waters.

I like the idea of having batteries that can be used in all things and not having to pack enough different batteries to take on vacation.

I have put a set in my dive light and after 3 hours the light seems to be as bring as it was when I started. For my use that is probably more time than I will ever need without being able to replace the batteries.

yep. Started using AA rechargeables everyplace I can since we're taking them and the charger anyway, moving towards carrying fewer types and number of batteries. I've used the adapters in a couple C-cell LED lights and it's plenty of capacity. We've got one 4C halogen that I haven't checked the life on yet.

Last edited:
I have used them for years, I got tired of having a drawer full of half used Cs. With high cap AAs there is not much of a time loss. If you dive them like I do (in lights), one dive and they hit the recharger anyway so a little loss in total time is no big deal. A plus or negative depending on your prespective is the voltage curve of NiMH AAs as opposed to standard "Cs", or any stand size for that matter. NiMH batteries start at a lower voltage (about 1.25V as opposed to 1.5 for standard batteries) so the light output is lower at the start however they will hold the 1.25 volts for the capacity of the battery then quickly fade. Standard batteries on the other hand start out brighter but quickly dim to the same as the NiMH, trouble is they continue to fade over the capacity of the battery, a quick dim in light followed by a long slow fading to black. This can be an advantage or a disadvantage depending on your prespective. A NiMH light starts out dimer but remains constant until the battery is empty then go dim quick- bascially the light will just quit on you all of a sudden. On the other hand, a standard battery starts brighter but quickly dims to the level of the NiMH but continues to get dimmer and dimmer until its empty. Less constant light but a long warning time it's getting low. For rec night dives the NiMH profile is fine, for cavers the standard battery profile might be better.

Back to the ones you show, those I would not use simply due to cost and capacity. You can get much higher cap batteries for a better price and you can buy the adapter seperate elsewhere. Tenergy 80047 Battery Adapter - Convert AA size to C size Battery Just the first place I found, there are others I am sure.

Thanks, that is what I was hoping for. I have 3 sets of batteries now, Strobe, video light, flashlight (with c adapters). 1 set in the equipment, 1 set charged and ready to go and another set cycling through the charger. Life is good!

Thanks a lot. I've never used these but will be giving them a try -- the cost for rechargeable C-cells is obscene. I've been moving all my family's lighting to rechargeable AAs, except for our internally rechargeable primaries (i.e. Sola).

I really like that if I ever lose or have some rechargeables go dud that AAs can pretty much be found and purchased easily anywhere. I'm assuming that in a pinch one could even use non-rechargeable AAs in these adapaters . . . anyone out there know for certain?

Yep, standard AAs will work fine. The one additional item I would suggest is an 8 bay charger. With my 2 strobes, camera and lights all using AAs, it helps to have a larger sized charger.

I went to smaller LED dive lights which only use AAs. I found big lights aren't required most of the time. It's just scaring off the critters. They put out plenty of light and are easier to manage. On a night dive, I don't want to light up the place but just light up a smaller area and there's enough light to see. Much less weight and only one charger (AA) not a bigger one (for C's as well). Just a thought. If I see something I usually point the light away to indirectly light it. Recently waited in the pitch black with light blocked in my chest for an octopus to come out, exposing just a light sliver to see until he finally came out completely. :)

-- the cost for rechargeable C-cells is obscene.

What is really obscene is if you check the capacity of either a C-cell or D-cell rechargeable battery it is the same as an AA. It seems that the guts of a rechargeable C and D are really just an AA in a larger case. Just check the weight of a rechargeable D vs an alkaline D and it is obvious without checking the mAh rating. Disclaimer: This was true a few years ago, and I haven't bothered to check since then.

Edit: checked online. Found some that are 5000 mAh and others claiming to be "high capacity" that are 2500 mAh (equivalent to newer AA NiMH). So things have gotten better, but buyer beware.

You can also nest a C to AA adapter inside a D to C adapter and use AAs to power them all.

You can also nest a C to AA adapter inside a D to C adapter and use AAs to power them all.

Or just use a AA to D adapter. My comment was really that (at least the older ones) rechargeable Cs and Ds weren't functionally any different than an AA in an appropriate adapter.

I'm definitely a fan of lots of AAs and adapters when needed. I also much prefer the Enloop variety. In my limited use they seem to work better and longer than any others I've tried.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom