A570IS & Ikelite housing -- buttons not lining up?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SparticleBrane

Contributor
Reaction score
How close do the buttons line up on your Ikelite housing with your A570IS?

I just got mine today (early Christmas present from my fiancee :D) and I've noticed that some of the buttons have issues lining up. It's as if I can't get the camera itself seated exactly where it needs to be.

When pressed, the housing buttons for "macro" and "left" are on the very edge of the corresponding camera button so they occasionally don't like to work. I can push the housing button, but the camera button isn't getting touched by the housing. Does this make sense?

If you followed all of my posts---lol--you would have seen that I had reported that issue with mine. I have the same situation, the buttons do not line up exactly. I reported that issue and that the quality was just not there. The Canon housing is perfect, unfortunately, it is not very heavy duty. I have found that all of my buttons work but the alignment could have been better. I would have done better to purchase a spare Canon DC-12.

N

Last edited:
Have you talked to Ikelite about it?

I'm considering calling them...

No, I imagine they are all like this. I have seen another and it was also not in good alignment. My buttons work, I think your will too. I think you should remove the camera and then reinstall it. Gently tighten the tripod nut while pressing down on the camera so that it is fully seated into the tray. Then push the camera into the housing and then set the function wheel control down onto the wheel. This seems to help hold the camera down.

My function wheel control and ON/OFF button are off to the right and the LEFT control is off to the left. So it is not simply sliding the camera left or right but the entire control layout is WRONG. OK, it at least needs some improvement. The macro contol, yawn, the left and right functions really need to work however.

I am sorry it does not suit you, I bet if you can bias the camera some to the left your LEFT control will be fine.

N

Well I really like the macro function, so that's important to me. Yes, left and right are both important as well. Just irks me that they would sell a product for ~$265 and it won't work 100%, and it hasn't even been wet yet. I believe we will be returning this one; I'm not sure if we'll get the Canon version.

Here are some pictures if anyone cares. They're not wonderful but perhaps you can get the idea -- the button for "Macro" almost goes completely under the 'circle' of buttons. Hard to describe, and harder to photograph. :rolleyes:

buttons1.jpg

buttons2.jpg

That is worse than mine, I think perhaps the tray is misaligned or the camera is not fully seated, make sure it is all the way down and that nothing is pressing up on the tray lifting it out of alignment.

N

When screwed in, the camera does sit a bit lopsided. It isn't quite as bad as in this picture -- it was angled to exaggerate the issue. But you can plainly see that it isn't sitting flat.

The screw used to hold the camera in place loves to cross-thread :rolleyes: but I absolutely made sure it was 100% perfectly inserted for this picture.

I'll call Ikelite on Monday and see what they can do.

buttons3.jpg

Are you over tightening the tripod screw? I think we have discovered your problem. My camera does not sit like that. It sits flat. I have it in front of me right now. The camera not being flat exaggerates the issue with the controls being misaligned.

N

Is one of the controls, either the zoom or the function switch (aft side, upper right) positioned incorrectly---retract those controls fully when installing the camera.

N

Even if the tripod screw isn't that tight, it still doesn't hold position. I'm also retracting all the buttons when inserting the camera.

I have also noticed that my tripod screw really likes to crossthread. Quite annoying, really...takes many tries to get the camera to attach to the tripod screw correctly.

I'll probably call Ikelite and see if they can give me a resolution. Just irks me...:shakehead:

Back
Top Bottom