A twofer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Altamira

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Took this photo in the Red Sea at Gamul Saroya, Safaga Egypt. The Blue Spotted Ray was easy to see, and was an attention grabber, but almost missed the second marine animal. I think it might be an Angel Shark, but would appreciate some expert opinions. Thank you.

fullsizeoutput_3bb7.jpeg

I wish I had gotten closer to the fish nestled in the sand, but did not want to risk spooking it as two other divers with me were trying to photograph the Blue Spotted Stingray and the unknown species, and there were a bunch of divers behind me. It had really burrowed itself in the sand, and I could not see how much of the head was the shape I saw or more rounded like a Carpet Shark/Wobbegong. After spending more time looking at stock photos, I now doubt it is an Angel Shark, and more likely a Flathead/Crocodile Fish since that one is listed as a Red Sea species. Hopefully someone will chime in with a definite ID, but the crappy quality of the photo may make that impossible.

Last edited:
It's definitely a flathead / crocodile fish, fairly common in the Red Sea

Thank you to all have responded. I am wishing it was swimming rather than nestled in the sand, but it was still a highlight of the dive. Can't complain when diving in the Red Sea.

I am wishing it was swimming rather than nestled in the sand

You will rarely see them swimming as they are ambush predators.

Where I normally dive they are not uncommon, just gotta know where to look for them, and frequently they are buried just below the surface.

full.jpg

full.jpg

They can move fast but stay close to the bottom.

@Searcaigh. Very nice photos of the Flathead Fish. I have no doubt that had the attention grabbing Blue Spotted Stingray not been swimming around the well camouflaged Flathead, I would have completely missed it. Never having seen one before, I did not know what I was looking at, and really appreciate the positive ID. SB member scores again! Thank you.

Now you'll start to see more of them.

Back
Top Bottom