A topic for discussion, 3 divers and no anchoring...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think #4 can be done safely more than a few times around SE Florida, depending on current strength probably sooner than later a boat drifting freely will get in the way of another vessel.

Been doing in SE Florida like that for years. No issues so far, but I will admit that it would be better if there was someone onboard.

3 Experienced solo divers on a boat will be live boating on a fair calm day, would YOU be diving 2 up and 1 down, or 2 down and 1 up?:eyebrow:

Yes..

As long as the man at the wheel knows what he is doing and your boat is in good running order, either way is fine in my opinion. We do it all the time. After hundreds of dives things continue to go well. We have very specific ways for doing things, and everyone understands what needs to happen. We also wreck dive like DSix described, and have had no issues doing the exact same thing. I always say the more the merrier. Any reason why only 3 of you are diving?

Frank

1 - Hook the wreck with the anchor

2 - All 3 divers do the dive

3 - Unhook the anchor and throw it in the sand

4 - Deco on the anchor line as the boat drifts

5 - Climb back on the boat and figure out lunch plans

If no anchoring, then either way is fine, dependant upon the individual divers.

Leave the boat adrift with no one topside?

I dont consider the anchor in the sand adrift. We move the anchor away from the wreck, however it is certainly not adrift. I am pretty sure DSix meant the same thing.

That may have been what he meant but to me it seemed very clear. This is what he wrote,

4 - Deco on the anchor line as the boat drifts

When we tie off to a wreck, we try to tie off to the a part of the wreck high up on the superstructure. If we were to take the anchor off the wreck, and toss it, depending on the wind, current and amount of scope used, the anchor might not even hit the bottom.

I might suggest a breakaway rig on a grappling hook. When rigged properly it will hold securely and is easily retreived when everyone is back aboard.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom