a Texan point of view of Florida diving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SailNaked

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We had some southwest credit to use up or lose so we flew to Ft. lauderdale, planned some dives with the help of SB, and had a great time.

Force-E took very good care of us and we met some very friendly Florida diver people.

The Jupiter Dive Center got top honors and made my wife's year, she got to dive with a stack of sharks and 6 dolphin I did not see the dolphin because I was poking a lionfish, serves me right. only down side to the best dives ever was 58 degree water when we were expecting 78. my wife took it like a Marine and only screamed on entering the water.

we have added a new place to dive that includes, BVI, Cozumel, Bonaire, and several other caribbean islands.
:D

FWIW, as a Texan who has dove in Florida, FL is kind of a big state like Texas. (Not as big of course!)

I'm thinking Florida Diving would be:

Keys
East Coast / Atlantic
West Coast / Gulf
North Florida Springs / Caves
Gulf Panhandle

Is that breaking it down too much or too little?

N.Florida from Ponce Inlet N is a world of it's own.Fewer divers,less stress, longer rides,more big animals and better spearfishing but the thermocline you experienced is common in June-Aug and vis is pretty unpredictable.

Jupiter has a lot of the advantages of S.Florida but not as crowded.You picked a good place to check out.

I went in the Navy from Abiline and ended up here.The people are nice but they screw up BBQ and chili pretty bad.There are only 3 seasons Spring,Summer and Fall.Fortunately the summers are mild,rarely hitting 100.I like the folks in Jupiter,Ft Pierce and the Keys the best as they are laid back and friendly.

We are glad you had a good time with us at the Jupiter Dive Center, sorry you got to experience the two days of the coldest water of the year, I'm sure you will not be surprised to hear that the temperature two days later was back in the high 70's, it still amazes me that the ocean can have a 15-20 degree temperature swing in the space of a few days. Hope to see you again soon.

I will definitely come back, Loved jupiter even with the ice water. we can drive in about 18 hours, unfortunately the Oriskany is only 8 hours, however I have signed up to dive that scow about 4 times and have yet to actually go out, one time it even snowed to keep me away. I think I might have to break my bad Florida weather luck, is there some Florida indian weather dance I can do, or offering to posidion that needs to be made? Does Posideon drink Lone Star beer? or maybe a Florida local brew?

our next stop is either whale sharks in Isla mujeres, or Bonaire, but after that and hurricane season I intend to be back in Fla.

Thermoclines are generally May-August and last from days to weeks and are extremely unpredictable.
Hurricane season is June to Oct,1/3 of the average month has winds sufficient to keep most folks home.
The Nor'easter pattern sets up in Dec thru March
The best time to ensure good weather is generally late summer into fall as the hurricanes wane but before the winter storms.The waters have not lost any warmth,vis is generally good and prices are better than during the peak seasons.
I dive year round as it's my job but I prefer Oct -Dec.We used to vaca in the Keys every August and weather was always an issue.We made 29 days one year but mostly we'd dive 24-26 with 4-6 weather days or we'd dive way inshore and backcountry.
I dive year round as it5's my job but

Don't let a little hurricane keep you away...

Thermoclines are generally May-August and last from days to weeks and are extremely unpredictable.
Hurricane season is June to Oct,1/3 of the average month has winds sufficient to keep most folks home.
The Nor'easter pattern sets up in Dec thru March
The best time to ensure good weather is generally late summer into fall as the hurricanes wane but before the winter storms.The waters have not lost any warmth,vis is generally good and prices are better than during the peak seasons.
I dive year round as it's my job but I prefer Oct -Dec.We used to vaca in the Keys every August and weather was always an issue.We made 29 days one year but mostly we'd dive 24-26 with 4-6 weather days or we'd dive way inshore and backcountry.
I dive year round as it5's my job but

Thinking about going to Key West August 22-27 and really mainly to dive, so are you saying that it's a high percentage chance that we won't be able to dive due to the weather? I obviously would cancel if a tropical storm or hurricane was in the area, but was hoping that without those variables the weather would be good. Thanks for any input.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom