A taste of Cocos and Malpelo Islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mjh

Contributor
Reaction score
Great trip, working on video, slides, trip report... Water was a little warm so sharks were down deeper. Still no "Huge school, blue water and sunball shot" looks like we will have to go back next year...

Attachments

• _DSC0062.jpg
    _DSC0062.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 97
  • htwoheadon.jpg
    htwoheadon.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 107
  • econdo2-copy.jpg
    econdo2-copy.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
any big schools of hammerheads? how about silver tips or silkies? howwere the currents? i'm going there (cocos only) at the end of june. great shots by the way.

Awesome pictures!

Wow, I don't think I've ever seen so many morays in one picture. You can clearly count eight mouths, and there appear to be bodies of a couple more at the top and bottom. Great photo!

wow, awesome shots - thanx for sharing!!

Awesome pics - love the hammerheads!

Very cool. I've never seen so many eels together like that. Were they having an orgy or something? :rofl3:

Thank you, Malpelo was just covered in eels, so many the biologist say they have become cannibals.

Matt215 I am working on a full trip report, video/still slideshow and still gallery. In short we had pond flat weather the whole trip. Water was a little warmer 80-77 on top, so sharks were a little deeper, around 90fsw or more but there were very good schools. Dirty rock turned out to be the best spot for us. We had two bait-balls, one which we caught at the end and snorkeled with silkies, tuna and dolphins. Two silver tips showed up at the cleaning station but the other team got skunked.

At Cocos you just never know what to expect weather and current wise. Last trip in was rough, tons of current, downpoured every day, viz was 30-40ft but had huge schools of everything and a whaleshark. This trip great weather, lots of sun, viz that was 40-100ft, mild currents good schools but as mentioned at greater depths (in general).

Attachments

• eelfullb-copy.jpg
    eelfullb-copy.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 45
  • hamgroupdeep.jpg
    hamgroupdeep.jpg
    351.4 KB · Views: 60
  • mfaceqlowres.jpg
    mfaceqlowres.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 47
  • hamtwoturn-copy.jpg
    hamtwoturn-copy.jpg