A Successful Rescue...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hal Iotis

Reaction score
OK, this happened a coupla years ago, but I hope it stimulates some discussion about the importance of being prepared for emergency situations.

I had recently finished my DAN 02 provider course, and it was the weekend before the dives for my NAUI Advanced Rescue. My wife and I were in Monterey for a non-diving weekend (sometimes you just gotta go along…). Anyway, it was late afternoon and as I looked into the sun toward Lover’s Point, I saw what appeared at first to be a couple of rafted-up sea lions. I then saw that it was several divers in a very unusual configuration, with one of them laid all the way out on their back. As they got closer to shore I realized that it was a rescue in progress, just as the divers had yelled to someone onshore to call 911. I ran up the sidewalk and down the stairs, reaching the beach just as they had pulled the victim onto the sand and placed her on her side. She was coughing up water and barely able to breathe, but no rescue breathing was needed at that point. Her BC and tank, etc. were floating about 150 yds. offshore, and the rescuers were also already out of their gear and helping her recover. They had been diving in the kelp at least 200 yds offshore.

There were at least three guys who had been in the water with the victim, and they all seemed to know what they were doing. One directed others on the beach to wait at the top of the stairs for the ambulance, get her gear, etc. They were winded (one guy so much that he was throwing up), but they were also calm and nobody panicked. The victim had apparently been found near the surface in the kelp, with her regulator out of her mouth. Beyond that, I do not have any more details about what caused the event.

The first responder was a police officer from the City of Pacific Grove. He was not able to render any aid to the victim whatsoever. We then waited several minutes for the FD to arrive on scene. They administered oxygen and took her to the hospital.

It was only during and after my rescue class that I realized that whoever saved the diver knew what they were doing, since their actions followed exactly what we were taught. I do wonder, though, whether it would it be feasible or even advisable for police officers in coastal/lakeside communities to carry an 02 kit, especially since they tend to be out in the field, and are quite often first responders to emergency scenes? It also pointed out the importance of continuous dive training and skills enhancement. What would have happened if none of the divers were rescue trained (I subsequently learned that several of them were firefighters), or if the incident occurred in a remote area with minimal emergency services? How common are the DAN 02 kits in the ordinary diver’s gearbag? At what point (frequent diver, AOW, DM, Instructor) or under what conditions should it be expected that at least one member of the team is rescue trained and carries the proper equipment? As an aside, a guy in my AOW class panicked at 85’ and did a Polaris missile imitation on a boat dive. He was immediately put on 02 and we headed to shore, where he was taken to the hospital. No adverse effects, fortunately.

I don't think Police would or could carry 02. When 911 is called, a EMT is dispatched. They are the ones that need to be trained in dive related injuries.
You would be suprised at how few EMT's in dive area's are trained. We had a incident here in Kingston which is host to hundreds of divers every weekend.
I happened to be on board my boat in harbour when a mayday call came in on the VHF radio. I met the EMT's on the dock and they had no idea what to do with a dive related injury. They took my advice put him on 100% 02. As a result of this incident we now have trained personnel.
Check your local area! If your EMT's have no training suggest they get it.

Originally posted by divedude
... met the EMT's on the dock and they had no idea what to do with a dive related injury. They took my advice put him on 100% 02. As a result of this incident we now have trained personnel.
Check your local area! If your EMT's have no training suggest they get it.

One of the main things I remember from my Rescue course -- when contacting the emergency system, make sure that they know it's a diving related incident. I guess it's not much help, if the emergency personnel don't know what to do.

Having O2 on board is one of the things I look for on a charter, I always hope it's not needed, but I've been around for two occassions when it's been used. (Fortunately nothing serious happend to either diver). A number of friends have O2 kits and if we're doing a shore dive, someone will bring one along (the majority of my diving "gang" are all 02 provider trained).

I've never needed it while diving but I have used it many times as an off-duty Paramedic. Sounds like those guys did a great job. It's not easy to remain focused and calm under that kind of stress.

I agree with DivingGal - the presence of 02 is one of the criteria for a decent charter operation. If you own a boat and dive off of it or allow other people to dive off of it, you should have it and know how to use it. 02 kits aren't cheap, but I think they are a drop in the bucket when it comes to boat ownership.

Divedude, the point I was trying to make is that it may take many more minutes for professional EMT's to arrive on the scene as opposed to park rangers, police, or dive professionals. In the meantime, the victim would not be treated with O2 unless someone happened to have a DAN O2 kit or similar setup.

Airports, stadiums, and other areas likely to attract a large crowd now have portable, semi-idiotproof defibrillators due to the high likelihood of cardiac arrest occurring. Many more people have received DAN oxygen provider training than actually have access to the proper equipment. In areas with high concentrations of shore divers (e.g., Monterey) an increase in accessibility to oxygen equipment could make an important difference. On California's North Coast, the response time for law enforcement can be much lower than the response time for emergency medical services, since the rangers, sheriff, etc. are constantly on patrol, whereas the EMT's need to be dispatched from stations that are often located miles from the scene. Wouldn't it make sense to train and equip more people, (such as rangers and police officers) as oxygen providers?

Incidentally, a couple of my tech buddies (I'm not...) were diving at Lake Tahoe when the [County] Sheriff's boat came screaming to shore with a father and his young teen daughter, both suffering from some drowning/hyperbaric injury. The father's skin was the color of blue jeans halfway down his torso, while the daughter was still barely alive. The Sheriff's boat did not have oxygen on board!

My friends administered oxygen to the girl, but apparently there was some later confusion by the medical team about how she should be treated, and she was not taken to a chamber (let alone altitude below 6,200') until it was too late.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom