A really fun dive today . . .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM

Missed and loved by many.
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
. . . or are we allowed to have fun? I keep forgetting . . .

Our Fundies instructor, Steve White, invited the students from his September and November classes to meet him for practice today. He even laid on a videographer. It was Fundies revisited . . . he laid a course, and I got to shoot a bag for one of the uplines! Well, sort of. I got it hooked up, and blew some air into it, and was letting it go when Steve took it away from me, put MORE air in it, and tied it off. Next time I'll get through the whole procedure. But it was the first time, and I enjoyed trying to do it.

We did lots of practice, some S-drills (oh, my) and even, at the end, had a real "Fundies" experience, as Steve threw an out of air at two of us while the third team member was shooting a bag.

The video remained humbling -- why DO I want to go completely vertical as soon as you give me something other than breathing to do?

What can you say about GUE and GUE instructors . . . this guy took a whole day, and the videographer took a whole day, completely uncompensated, to give literally minute by minute feedback on everything we were doing underwater, and tape it, and review the tape with us. And everybody else was going back in the water when I left.

I am SO glad that Bob talked me into taking the class. If I keep working like this, and working with these great people, I will become a FAR better diver.

Steve White and Scott Christopher get my gratitude. Imagine people so interested in diving as to take a whole day to help others get better at it. Add my vote to Lynne's these guys are great. Those of you on Steve's roster for the next Fundies class....Enjoy.

TSandM:
What can you say about GUE and GUE instructors . . .

That is so true. I have been lucky enough to do some diving with a GUE instructor in the last 2 months, the unbelievable in-water skills are a given, but he is also one of the nicest people I've met. He has spent TONS of time with me and other people I dive with, giving tips, answering questions, helping, even giving a 4 hour mini-intro to DIR to our group, all on his own time and for people who have not signed up for the DIR-F class yet. I wish that GUE had more instuctors, but one thing I could not fault them on is the quality of their people. And not least of which, MHK and Bob on here taking the time to answer peoples questions.
I am VERY grateful for the help, i need it :)

And at the risk of having this sound like a mutual admiration society, it was great fun to dive with Leeward, who makes a super buddy and is actually capable of looking around him while he is doing S-drills and shooting bags . . . wow!

I wish I would have been able to go to that one. I've been out of town visiting family. Maybe next time around.

Looks like you may have another opportunity Marc. Steve is doing it again tomorrow for the mid-week tweek at Seacrest.
Excerpt from his email:
"What's say we do a full on training dive (check, s-drill, v-drill, go see the honey bear and pull some random OOAs, shoot a bag at 50 with 1's all the way up). I can probably do 2 dives ( 3 or 4 and 6 or 7)."

I believe Steve normally lives in Italy so he's probably talking 1 meter stops (I hope). I already have plans but am working on getting them changed. When someone like Steve is willing to donate so much of his unpaid time and effort to help his past students further develop and refine their skills, you just can't pass that up.

Be sure and email him and let him know when/if you will be able to make it so he can adjust his schedule accordingly.

Hopefully, I'll see everyone there.
-Chris

TSandM:
We did lots of practice, some S-drills (oh, my) and even, at the end, had a real "Fundies" experience, as Steve threw an out of air at two of us while the third team member was shooting a bag.

What does that look like? I assume since 2 and 3 are ooa, they would be sharing 1's 2nd?

Thanks for all your posts. Your dedication to becoming a better diver is inspirational to more than a few. It's great to read about your progression and you leave me with no doubt that you will succeed in your endeavor.

Dave Herbert

you leave me with no doubt that you will succeed in your endeavor.

You obviously weren't there to watch the video . . . :D

We didn't have two people OOA -- just Steve got two of us involved in an OOA drill while the third team member was deeply involved in bag-shooting and therefore likely not to notice an "emergency" occurring with the rest of his team. Skill drill for us, situational awareness exercise for the third team member.

I've read your journal and many of your posts. You were clearly not born to dive, but the persistence, hard work, open mind and honest self assessment you exhibit can only result in success.

Thanks for the ride!

Dear TSandM, Just read your dive journal and now i don't have to write one "cause they are identical, not in detail, but certainly in the general jist. My primary passion is also horses, and I'll probably always be more balanced physically and mentally on Dotti's back. But I think diving can become a second passion. When I finally found neutral bouyancyand could relax, the oneness I felt with the water and the sheer sensuousness of it gave me a similar "feel" as a long slow canter on a beautiful trail through the woods, or doing a trail class perfectly in a show (I ride Western). We're both going to *get it* because anyone who knows oneness with a horse seeks these feelings. Besides, I'm now madly in love with a gorgeous Spotted Eagle Ray....he said follow me, follow me.........
Barbara,aka SeaHorseWoman

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom