A Real Newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dbarkle

Registered
Reaction score
Is there any place to find information a regs. I am totally lost in the lingo. What do you mean by first stage, second stage, and octo.

This is what I take them as. First stage is what you actually breath through while diviing. Now I thought the octo was the backup regulator, but I am not sure any more after hearing about a second stage.

I have looked through a lot of these posts but have not seen anything on the real basics of this.

Hope this is not too basic of a question to ask. I am just trying to find out anything and everything about diving before I start.

Thanks
dbarkle

The first stage is the part attached to the tank with all of the hoses sticking out of it.

The second stage is the unit you breath out of.

The octo is the "safe second" stage, or alternate air source. It is clipped somewhere in your chest area, and depending on your dive training may be what you donate to an out of air diver, or possibly your primary air source if you donate the second stage.

It becomes much more understandable when you go thru your training....

dbarkle,

Fear not, you will learn about the equipment in the class should you decide to take one. Keep in mind, that the class will not teach ou everything, but will give you a good understanding of the different equipment and it's uses.

--MichaelG

Dbarkle,

As a newbie myself I can relate. Here are a couple of websites that you might like:

http://www.apeks.co.uk This one is to Apeks who makes very well regarded regulators for all types of diving. I went with them.

http://www.scubadiving.com This site is to Rodale's diving magazine which publishes a lot of articles on diving gear, including ratings according to price range.

As DD said, it does make a lot more sense once you start the training.

Jimbo

Back
Top Bottom