A question on BP/W single tank mounting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scrane

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have been diving a long time, but have recently decided to try out a Backplate Wing configuration bc. I dive warm water locations with a single tank exclusively. I usually need about 12# of weights with a standard bcd.

Admittedly, I have been searching for lower cost components that seem to be of acceptable quality:
1. OMS stainless steel Backplate. This backplate weighs short of 6 lbs and seems to be of average size and contour with a ridge along the backbone with 11" on center holes and cutouts for the tank straps.
2. One of the Hog 23# doughnut bladders currently available cheap. This blatantly red bladder has the solid membrane in the center with several 11" on center holes and tank band cutouts.
3. A standard one piece Harness with a center grommet.

Do I need to secure the bladder to the backplate with screws, or should I just make do with the tank bands holding things in place?
Do I mount the tank directly to the center backplate ridge or use some kind of single tank adapter? I prefer not to use an adapter to avoid weight issues.My concern is with the harness/grommet crossing the ridge at the top in addition to the grommets on the Wing the tank might be kind of tippy side to side even if tightened securely.

I've been searching around for BP/W details and everyone wants to tell you how to string a harness, but not many details emerge when it comes to mounting the tank. Thanks for any advice anyone might offer.

Screws themselves will not do more than the tank bands. The issue is not that the wing (bladder) stay there but rather the tank be stable. Some wings (DDS and Oxycheq) have built in tank stabilizers, little plastic dowels that help prevent tank movement. Barring that it would be normal to use a STA (Single tank adaptor) that does screw in. The STA is not much weight, maybe a pound, but does move the tank a little further from your back, which can be good, more head clearance, or bad, putting that big massive tank further from your body core. But it is a small move in either case. With the STA bolted down tight, it is very secure, and does not tip side to side. There are also mini STA's, OxyCheq - Mini Single Tank Adapter, I am not sure how well they work. You can always add the STA if the bands themselves do now work well, but only some wings are meant to be used that way, the Hog one seems to say it is. I have an OxyCheq that is designed for use without STA but find it more secure with STA, also easier to mount the tank inline with plate, and not a bit off kilter to one side or the other along the vertical axis.

The design, with those two grommets stacked on top of each other is a bit off, but it still works well. Deep Sea Supply has some nice videos of harness and tank assembly, Product Videos, and apparently a nice system. DGX is another source of an inexpensive system. DGX BC Systems | BCs | Dive Gear Express®. Congrats on moving to BP/W I think you will like it.

Edit:
It is a sandwich of plate | wing | <STA> | tank. With the tank bands attaching the tank to either the STA or the plate and the screws attaching any STA to the plate.

Last edited:
the hog wing has the roll stabilizer bars, so you don't need to use a sta. screws to hold it together are optional too if you thread the cam bands through the slots. the bars work ok, not as secure as with the DSS bracket though.

Ditto on the DSS recommendations for a variety of reasons including great customer service.
They also have several videos on YouTube explaining how everything is put together. They will answer some of your questions and if not, Tobin the owner would probably answer any other ones.

I just put one together for the first time and love the simplicity.

Here are links to the videos: DeepSeaSupplyUSA

Thanks for the quick and helpful responses. The more I learn the more my mental clouds dissipate! Between runsongas' response concerning the roll stabilizer bar and Michael's informative post I think I have a better picture of what's going on. Thank you, Gentlemen.
Ron, thanks for your suggestion. It does look like a really nice package, and a bargain at $460. for the quality, but... I really want to cheap this out. This is kind of an experiment for me. I actually have had good luck with the standard bcd, but all the talk on this board about BP/W put a bug up so I thought I'd build a system of reasonable quality on a low budget. The one I outlined above will come to $278. I think it will give me a good idea about whether a BP/W and I can get along. Buoyancy Control and UW stability contribute a lot to my diving enjoyment. If I can retain the same control I have now with the jacket with the less constricting BP/W that will be great!

Last edited:
Sounds good. Let us know how it goes.

You likely need a weight belt for a few remaining pounds of your BC 12, and, if your trim winds up not right, likely a small weight pocket to move some up on a talk strap or other point. Xsscuba has some that run $10.

Make sure camband slots in the wing match the slots in the plate. If they don't you'll have to use an STA or cut the wing's center panel or find something to cut the SS plate.

I use the top screw just to keep it all together and not wobbling around. My Hollis 25 wing has a very small "soft" stabilizer that takes a bit of getting used to, I might replace it with the one from DGX. They also sell weight pouches that are smaller and neater than the XSScuba's.

I have this one. It's good for $299 :) The only thing I don't particularly like is the pull dump but it's not a big deal.

DGX Custom - DGX Singles Harness / Backplate / Wing Package

It doesn't require an sta and it doesn't roll around. It does come with screws to secure bp to wing but they are just for convenience when assembling/disassembling

Back
Top Bottom