A question about tail weights on a doubles rig

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ozJohnno

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi there,
Not so long ago I did a doubles primer training day with a GUE instructor. One of the many things I learned was about my trim. He fixed my trim by attaching a 2.5kg tail weight to my rig that I kept nice and flat, brilliant. I asked him if I could buy the weight off him and he refused stating that tail weights in Melbourne Australia were as rear as rocking horse poop.

So I decided to look around on teh interwebs to try and find a 2.5kg tail weight but while I could find a 2kg and a 1kg weights they didn't have a 2.5kg weight and they dont ship the weight to Australia in any case, so I was so what I did in the end was buy a tail weight pouch that would take 2kg of solid weights or 2.7kg in soft weight, (shot weights I am guessing).

Does it matter that the pouch doesnt 'stick out' from under the bottom of my rig as much as the ingot style tail weight does? would this be the right way to go?

(the ingot is mounted on the end of a piece of stainless steel)

Cheers

Johnno

Hey perhaps your Jetfins will make up for the weight being 2 inches higher

you can get a longer tail weight and cut it down
or use the pouch style

I would try out out the 2.7kg in soft weight in the pouch you have and see how it goes. Technically the weight position does matter, but it depends on the diver and circumstances how much it matters. As long as it is close you will see divers either naturally adjust and compensate or not notice any difference at all. I also dive with a tail weight and do a good bit of traveling. Not all locations will have the exact same weight set up--some have soft weights, some of solid v-weight blocks. I have found that as long as I'm close (location and weightwise) I don't really notice a difference.

Furthermore, maybe you have pictures of exactly what you (ideally) want. I can't believe that there is something that can't be shipped to AUS in the 21st century. One of the benefits of GUE and even in general dive community is how small the world is. I have been able to arrange for people to pick things up for me in other countries and fly it back to me in their checked luggage or if it was large enough I have paid the excess baggage fees.

I put a single 2lbs torpedo weight behind the plate. I leave a tie wrap on it and loop that over the lower bolt which keep it from moving. There’s room back there for probably at least 3 of those.

I, and many like me, have taught that there is always another fix rather than adding weight. Different tanks, different bands, different position of bands, different bp, different fins, etc, etc.

Don't take the easy way out. Adding weight may throw off a balanced rig, but certainly means more air in the bcd and more drag, which means more effort, increased breathing, etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom