A question about HP hoses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jchance

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I have a HP hose that I was surprised to see seeps tiny bubbles while I had it in the water after rebuilding the regs. I had never noticed this before. I pulled our famly's other sets and checked them to see if they did the same. One did not. The others all had VERY small pinhole like bubble formation on the outside of the hoses. Some were much worse than others but almost all did over time. I've never noticed this before. Is this normal or is this degradation of the hose? Any ideas?

inside of the hose is leaking. The hoses are two parts, inner core that actually seals and holds the pressure, then an outer protective layer that is porous. It helps to hold pressure a little bit, but it's not a sealing hose. Just need to replace them. They are unlikely to fail catastrophically for a long time, but it is a bad hose

Bad hose. Time to replace them the inner hose is leaking.

To add a little to tbone. the small holes you see in the outer jacket are there on purpose, every HP hose has them although some are really small and hard to see. They serve to vent off any air leaking from the inner hose (like yours is) and prevent it from blowing up like a balloon, then exploding. If you are getting a fizz of bubbles, the inner core is leaking and the outer jacket is doing what it is supposed to do. The hose needs replacing and the new one will have to tiny holes in it. IMO, not an "OMG, must end the dive!!!" but it does need to be fixed.

Before you write them off submerge them then pressurize them and leave them a minute or so. Keeping the hose submerged run your finger along the hose to displace the bubbles. Leave the hose submerged and pressurized for a couple of minute and see if any bubble have reformed. If no new bubble then hoses are fine and the small bubbles were just trapped air displaced when the hose was pressurized.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom