A question about car rental....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jchance

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
We used to rent at Fox car rental as it was relatively cheap compared to others, on-site at the airport and we had a standing discount. WELL...they have removed their concession on the island. We are seriously considering a rental from ISIS. We have never rented from them before but have heard mostly good things about them. We stay at El Cantil when on Cozumel ane this is the first trip back in almost 2 years. My question is what is the best way to get from the airport to either ISIS or to El Cantil? Would it be better to shuttle to El Cantil to drop the bags and then return to ISIS, shuttle straight to ISIS for rental pick-up or does anyone have a good, reliable driver to pick us and gear up to ferry us to either? At least it is just the two of us this time instead of the family. The same question as to the return to the airport. We are used to driving straight to the airport when we are departing. Renting through ISIS would change this dymanic. Any good pearls from anyone? Feel free to PM if you do NOT want to openly post. Thanks!

I would take the airport shuttle to El Cantil. If not centro zone it should be the next one so fare should only be $4-6 each. I'd do that so I could get my room and drop off my bags first, at the front door. Saves loading/unloading the bags twice. And if for some reason there is a delay in getting the car (never happened in a dozen rentals though) you're not stuck in town with a bunch of bags. Do you know where you will park around El Cantil? Never stayed there but with the bike lane on Melgar it's harder to find parking most places.

From condo, it's a short walk to town and to ISIS. If you don't really need the car right away you could get it another day and save a daily rental or two. Combine the trip to ISIS with a downtown visit to eat or shop.While it's but a block from Mega you could also use the car if you're buying heavy stuff like a case of beer, lol.

For return, we always load up the car with luggage, officially check it in at ISIS and settle up, then drive it to the airport. One of their guys will ride with you to take it from the airport.

El cantil has basement parking.

I have taken the airport shuttle directly to Rentadora ISIS at least 4 times, luggage and all with 2-3 people. Never had a problem. There's room in the lobby for your bags if you don't have someone to watch them on the sidewalk, or it's pouring down rain like it did to me once!

They have also taken me back to the airport a time or two, if they weren't busy. If they are busy, you just get a taxi. It's a short haul.

Whether you go directly to Isis may depend on how much luggage you have and what vehicle you're renting.

If you arrange everything ahead of time they'll come pick you up where you're staying and take you to the shop where you can do all the paperwork then drive yourself back.

Back when we used to rent from them they'd drop us off at the airport after we'd returned the car.

We rented from Isis too. We walked out of the airport with our bags, went to Diego's tacos for lunch (right outside the airport on the right) and caught a taxi right there to Isis after lunch. It was very convenient!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom