A problematic problem

Help...

• Quick! cover it up as much you can!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have searched for the following to no avail.

I remember that a decade or so ago, some of the long time divers spoke of having carried shiny metal squares in a pocket as a shark repellant. If a shark was threatening, you would drop them, and as they fell shimmering in the water, the shark was supposed to go away. One poster (Thalassamania, IIRC) insisted he had done it once, and it had worked.

But if you take off the reflective tape or hose it won’t it increase the chances of getting hit by a car?
ok ok i can't take it off anyway.... <TG>

So here's the issue. My bc has built in reflective stripping (like 3ft) on both sides as well as else were on some buckles. I am aware that this may attract sharks..... I can tape or cover up the smaller parts that may look like fish scales but i don't know if the larger section is still appetizing. If there are any biologists hanging around, your word of advice would definitely help. Or if anyone disagrees otherwise, please pitch in.... <TG>

P.S. Where i dive there a 99% chance that when you jump into the ocean and look down, there's gonna be one roaming around....
:jaws::dance:
You do realize all of the chrome on you valve and first stage are much more reflective?

I was diving in FL many years ago and watched 3’ alligator gar buzzing the diver’s valve stem ahead of me. I am would wear a traffic safety cone if attracted sharks

So here's the issue. My bc has built in reflective stripping (like 3ft) on both sides as well as else were on some buckles. I am aware that this may attract sharks..... I can tape or cover up the smaller parts that may look like fish scales but i don't know if the larger section is still appetizing. If there are any biologists hanging around, your word of advice would definitely help. Or if anyone disagrees otherwise, please pitch in.... <TG>

P.S. Where i dive there a 99% chance that when you jump into the ocean and look down, there's gonna be one roaming around....
:jaws::dance:
Ive not heard of that but I have heard stories ( probably construed) about attracting barracuda.

my somewhat "concern" was that when i jump in 100ft of clear blue water and my stuff starts giving off this nice vibrant light that it might attract some unwanted dive buddies.... <TG>
I have reflective tape on my DS and have had no sightings.

You can’t let them know you are scared... they can smell it. This is just a dinner gong...
Ding ding dinners ready come and get it. Lol

I have searched for the following to no avail.

I remember that a decade or so ago, some of the long time divers spoke of having carried shiny metal squares in a pocket as a shark repellant. If a shark was threatening, you would drop them, and as they fell shimmering in the water, the shark was supposed to go away. One poster (Thalassamania, IIRC) insisted he had done it once, and it had worked.

I wonder what Thalassamania is up to these days. At one point he was going to write a book.

Back
Top Bottom