A problematic problem

Help...

• Quick! cover it up as much you can!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why do you think this?
well i know that shiny jewelry attracts them, as well as other reflective things. My bc has a decent amount of reflective "tape" on the sides, was just wondering if it could cause an "inconvenience."

Do you believe it may attract sharks among others like barracuda?

It's like using flashers for trolling, a little flash will attract attention, a lot of flash will scare them off, but I've just seen it used on certain fish that are looking for baitfish, like salmon. That's why I use different sized flashers depending on water clarity. Sharks seem to hunt their prey in a different manner than large school fish.

I wouldn't wear reflective tape to keep from scaring away fish, don't know how, or if, it would affect a shark.

Very insightful. I wonder if @drbill has any thoughts?

well i know that shiny jewelry attracts them, as well as other reflective things. My bc has a decent amount of reflective "tape" on the sides, was just wondering if it could cause an "inconvenience."

Do you believe it may attract sharks among others like barracuda?
Sharks have terrible eyesight. Their hunting is primarily by electrical signals and smell, such as generated by your heartbeat or from the blood from a cut finger. I would not worry about reflective tape!
Perhaps you need to differentiate between curiosity-causing things and attack-causing things.

Just don't hang a "disco ball" below yourself. We use these to attract fish, but when the little mirrors are hit by direct sunlight, it sends out "little laser beams" of light, sharks often will come right in and bump the ball with their nose if a diver is not close to it.

https://www.makospearguns.com/Flasher-Ball-p/mfb.htm

View attachment 626305
I have heard stories of freedivers putting reflective tape on the tips of their fins so the buddy can see them on their dive, but have had sharks come up and bite the fin. Probably rare and low viz water.

I do recall a post here many years ago that reported they had used a clear skirt mask and the reflection was enough to send a big barracuda into strike mode and really did some damage to the diver's face.

That said, I wouldn't worry too much... unless I had a disco ball hanging off a d ring. :)

Sharks and barracuda are rather different in their hunting and attacking behaviors.
my somewhat "concern" was that when i jump in 100ft of clear blue water and my stuff starts giving off this nice vibrant light that it might attract some unwanted dive buddies.... <TG>

Clear blue water is easy....you won't be confused for food. Just don't be aggressive toward an animal that can hurt you.

thanks, and oh, one more question.... If it does hurdled towards me from below, i've seen it almost happen before, should i just jam my fin into it's snout? or some other technique. <TG>

my somewhat "concern" was that when i jump in 100ft of clear blue water and my stuff starts giving off this nice vibrant light that it might attract some unwanted dive buddies.... <TG>

More likely to be a barracuda. I've seen one on attack but my obvious change in behaviour attracted the guide's attention and he was able to smack it away seconds before it took to the woman's head. We've never been able to figure out what that was about. Mask skirt? Interesting. It's been a long time but I'd have sworn she was wearing a black mask skirt and was definitely turned away from the barracuda.

thanks, and oh, one more question.... If it does hurdled towards me from below, i've seen it almost happen before, should i just jam my fin into it's snout? or some other technique. <TG>
Punch it in the nose. The nose and eyes and gills are the tender parts. Ever try kicking something with your fin on? Forget it.

Back
Top Bottom