A nice gesture

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zman96

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Many on these boards know this but for those that do not a little reminder:
When you are flying out of the airport in Cozumel after your fabulous vacation and you have a few pesos or dollars left, there are white Cruz Roja boxes to drop donations into before you leave. They do a tremendous amount of work on the island and any amount you can donate is great.

Thanks,
Brian

On my last visit I photographed the one I saw to help people notice it. According to Brian there's another one now that's located nearer to where you clear security, plus this ones still at the end wall location shown.

VZ1Q9664.JPG

It is true that Cruz Roja does a lot of good for the people of Cozumel, but also for visitors. A few years back I needed a rental wheel chair for my mother in law and it was given to me at no charge. Since then I have seen first hand what Cruz Roja does for this island... and it is a lot.

Another way to help Cruz Roja is in their Carnival sales of beads for the parade. This is a major part of their operating budget, and the biggest problem they have with that is importing the Mardis Gras beads which are only available in the US (made in China!). Believe it or not, proper importation through Mexican customs is such an expensive pain that it is not worth the effort. But us divers can bring them in our luggage with little problem. Indeed, last February I brought in 20 lbs, and that is a lot of beads!

So, if any of you Scuba Boarders want to help by bringing some down in Dec to Feb, just post here and someone can get the beads sent to you in packets as small as 5 pounds. The Cruz Roja and the people of Cozumel will thank you.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

I doubt that the majority of visitors to the island (or Mexico for that matter) know that the Red Cross is the first responder to an emergency. Most of us live in countries where some government sponsored paramedic style ambulance will arrive to help us but in Cozumel it's the Red Cross that will be sent to an emergency, but unlike at home they are funded by donations, not the government or local health system. From a car or moped accident to a heart attack, you'll depend on the Red Cross while visiting Cozumel, so donating you're left over change or small bills just before leaving for home has got to be the best use for them since they will either get lost or given away at home because you're bank won't buy them from you.

The Cruz Roja are definitely worthy of any money you can give. They do outstanding work for the needy, as well as, the accident response services. I prefer to give to the folks on the street corners because they will often give me a sticker, or as I like to call them, Cozumel automotive rust and dent repair kits (they can also be used to fix a small ding on a surfboard).:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom