A new manufacturer has been added!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For all those in this thread... show us pics! In the water and out! New or old suit, we really, really want to see what they look like!

I've had 2 JMJ suits over the years (I think). First one was a 1/4" skin in suit I used in northern CA. Still have it, might be able to fit in it... I'll have to go take some pics. It was from about 1995. The talcum powder covered head look was very "in" at at the time :).

Second one was a 3mm one piece I used in Hawaii. It lasted for several hundred dives, but is now long gone.

Both were custom cut, fit great. I think both suits were rubatex neoprene, so super high quality, durable rubber. I think they are out of business or at least out of the neoprene game these days though.

Yesterday I ordered two pairs of JMJ 7mm wetsuit booties for myself (to replace, finally, my decrepit 1987-era Scubapro Delta Dive Position booties) and for my college junior daughter. And today JMJ joins Scubaboard. Coincidence? I think not!!

rx7diver

UPDATE: My (and my daughter's) JMJ booties arrived today. They seem to be exactly what I was hoping for (nicely laminated inside and out; seams nicely glued; nicely stitched, outside on the front seam, and inside and outside on the rear seams; and thin soles nicely glued and double-stitched on).

Only issue: The size seems to run small. My shoe size is 11.5, and that's what I ordered, and that's what arrived. However, my booties are a tad too small (lengthwise). I tried them on over very thin nylon dress socks, so I don't think the socks are the issue. Might need to return them for a larger size.

Waiting for one of my daughters to come over to see if hers, too, are too small.

rx7diver

P.S. What I really, really like, are the very simple, slim sole, which (like the sole on my old Scubapro booties) doesn't have the heavy rubber bits that are on many booties you commonly see, and the absense of a zipper.

Only issue: The size seems to run small. My shoe size is 11.5, and that's what I ordered, and that's what arrived. However, my booties are a tad too small (lengthwise). I tried them on over very thin nylon dress socks, so I don't think the socks are the issue. Might need to return them for a larger size.
Thanks for the review rx7diver! These boots are a classic design that I think you'll all find to be super warm and very comfortable.

Regarding the fit, as with any of our products, we recommend trying them in the water before making a decision about fit. A bootie with a neoprene upper needs to fit pretty snug otherwise they move around on your feet when they get wet. The sizing should be pretty good - we've used that pattern for about 30 years =)

Let us know how it goes and If we can help further - we want you to be happy with your purchase.

Thanks again,
Derek & JMJ

UPDATE: My (and my daughter's) JMJ booties arrived today...
Another UPDATE long overdue. I wore the JMJ booties I purchased last Nov, for the first time in the water (in the pool) this past weekend. Wore them with my venerable Jet Fins (my original--and only--fins, which I purchased new in 1987). I try to keep my gear out of public pools (because of the high chlorine levels), but wetsuit season is about to open (for me), so I'm preparing.

Verdict: Oh, momma! Perfect fit, and so comfortable! Yes, they will do nicely! I was very reluctant to switch back to what remains of my Scubapro "Delta Dive Position" booties (also purchased new in 1987), which chlorine has exacted a toll on.

One thing: My Scubapro booties have a tiny "lip" that is part of the sole. (So, the sole is, essentially, a shallow "tray.") This lip, though minuscule, keeps your foot from "rolling off" of your sole when you're walking. My JMJ booties don't have this lip, and as I walked in them, I was extremely aware that the neoprene near the sole would sometimes contact the ground as the edge of my foot rolled off the sole--which can't be good, probably. Otherwise, no issues whatsoever.

Oh, and I crashed my daughter's scuba course this morning. They were doing the very last pool session of her semester-long univ scuba course (NAUI). I took over the JMJ booties I gifted her this past Christmas, and the replacement rental wetsuit we reserved yesterday for her open water checkout. Her first time in open-heel fins (my Jet Fins) and booties and a wetsuit. Of course, she loved the booties (though she has nothing to compare them to), and she loved the booties + Jet Fins, too, once she decided to listen to her dad and cease kicking in them the way she kicks in full-foot rubber fins.

rx7diver

Now that O'Neill is toast, in terms of manufacturing their once-great 7 mm suits -- after using them for over three decades -- JMJ is now the "new" contender . . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom