A mysterious treasure, any help with an ID?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dustinh

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Diving off Beach 8th Street in Far Rockaway NY, sometimes you find these little bowls. We refer to them as "voodoo" pots, but I'm not sure what they really are, and I've love to find out. Some are green, and apparently those are to represent prayers for fertility. It seems like whatever was in the bowls (incense, etc) was burned, and the bowls were thrown into the water. They may very well in fact be voodoo related, it has been Claimed that Queens, NY is the most ethnically diverse county in the US.

I've attached a few pics. One of them is the bowl upside-down, with a quarter on it for scale.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• 09092009159.jpg
    09092009159.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 123
  • 09092009158.jpg
    09092009158.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 116
  • 09092009160.jpg
    09092009160.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 132
  • 09092009162.jpg
    09092009162.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 152
  • 09092009161.jpg
    09092009161.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 133
Would a dollar bill work better than the quarter that is resting on the bowl in one of the pics?

Is this better?

A friend mentioned that maybe it's not Voodoo, but Hindu in origin. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 103
Drdiver,

I thought the same thing! But a few of the divers I dive with have actually seen people put incense and prayers in them, set them on fire, and then cast them into the water. I've personally seen people make offerings of all kinds of fruit, flowers and other things at this beach.

An interesting mystery.

Any chicken blood on em...?

Well if other divers have seen them cast them in the water..Id say you have your answer?
Maybe search the web for hindu offerings..?Buddist maybe..?

Drdiver,

I thought the same thing! But a few of the divers I dive with have actually seen people put incense and prayers in them, set them on fire, and then cast them into the water. I've personally seen people make offerings of all kinds of fruit, flowers and other things at this beach.

An interesting mystery.

That is interesting. It sounds more like a Hindu or Buddhist or perhaps Animist rite than Voodoo, but you never know. Looking forward to hearing more!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom