A little competition on today's dive!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hawk

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
First you have to sit through the boring part of me telling about this weekends diving.

We found a spot that I had forgotten all about, yesterday. There is a lake near here where they have dammed up three rivers to make one large lake. As a kid my dad had taken me fishing to the inlet of one of the rivers and it was so clear and pretty. I had forgotten all about this untill I got to the lake. The whole thing had little green blobs in it and I decided to go back up and see if the headwaters were still as clear as before. As we neared it the wife looked at me and said how amazing it was! There was a line as sharp as one drawn with a ruler between the green water and the part that was as blue and clear as any you have ever seen.

I spent the next 50 min at about 30 feet (the max depth here) looking at hundreds of rainbow trout, crawdads galore, and finding a fishing pole and net. I had a smile from ear to ear!

Today we went back and went up a little further and did a slow drift dive for about a quarter mile or so. Same trout everywhere, a few kokanee this time also. They were so curious that I almost had to move aside to keep from running into them.

Now the best part. At the end of my dive I saw something in the water and asked the wife what it was, since I couldn't see it clearly. She said it was an otter, no wait, several otters! I went near them under the water to try to see them, but couldn't find them. When I came up, Amy said it was so funny! They would get out of the water just before I got there and bark at me, then when I passed they would dive in and watch me! I never did get to see them underneath. This went on several times. She said that one time they were less than 5 feet behind me! Little sneaky things.

When it was time for us to go they must have decided the same thing and all 4 of them swam up the shore where I had been seeing the fish and crawdads.

A little competition diving is one thing, but these guys mad me look like a fool! They are a heck of a lot more at home in the water than I am.

The whole weekend was just a blast! I can't wait to go back and see if I can win this time.

Later, Hawk.

I've heard plenty of stories about seals but none about otters. Now I know why they have those smiles on their faces....Sounds like the laugh was on you! :D

Are just plain cool! When we dive the Wekiva River for the St John River clean-up, we almost always get played with. They come in tag you and are gone... I have yet to tag one back! If you surface there will be a couple with their heads just above water mocking you. Do be careful, for as cute and cuddly as they look, they are still wild and very territorial. I have seen them tear up a small gator (@ 3 ft) when it encroached on their territory.

Otter-cat, not really a secret, just that people always seem to say that. It is lake Billy Chinook. A lot of people only know it as Cove Palisades State Park. Where we went was up the Crooked River arm of the lake for 3 or 4 miles. They live in the rocks on the shore. We were there just half an hour before it got dark or so, didn't see them the day before when we were there during the middle of the day.

Hope you can get a chance to enjoy this place and my new friends also.

Later, Hawk.

Tee hee. Makes me want to go lake diving again....almost.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom