A lesson / Reminder to all

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

blackvans1234

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Just wanted to give a quick shout out, and promotion of a buddy's vid.

But the thing I'd like to harp on here, is to slow down your swimming.
Especially if you're diving with a buddy.
You will NOT see things like this if you're kicking quickly, and you may even be leaving your buddy behind.

So slow down, look twice, call your buddy over, point at the rock like its something special, and when he gives you a look, just use your COVERED liontamer to point a littler closer :wink:

hamstracj's Channel - YouTube

Actually, you should try very hard to NEVER poke any animal, nor grab coral. As far as slowing down, may I suggest your buddy slow down his camera movement. I got seasick watching the video. :)

Okay, I saw the octopus, but what was he wiggling his finger at? I could not make it out.

+1 on slow the camera movement.

Another octopus, camera wouldn't pick it up.

Oh jeez, seasick after a 2 minute video, how do you handle boat rides? or car rides
:mooner:

Thank you for posting this! One of the things we try to tell new divers, over and over again, is to SLOW DOWN. Much marine life survives by camouflage; if you are flying by, you will not see a lot of fun things.

But to slow down and stop, you have to be stable. The video shows us how hard that can be. It is worth working on balancing your equipment and learning to be able to hang motionless in the water. You will see far more, and you will take better pictures (and video).

Another octopus, camera wouldn't pick it up.

Oh jeez, seasick after a 2 minute video, how do you handle boat rides? or car rides
:mooner:

Spew like a shook-up coke can. Gotta problem with that? :popcorn:

I too am an advocate of looking to see things, both big picture and small. You've been there, back on the boat after a dive, talking about the frog fish, or octopus you saw, the interesting fish behavior you observed, or the sea horse on the low lying soft coral. Other divers come up, aghast. "Really?" " Where was that?" Well speedsters, it was right beside you, right below you, and sometimes right in front of your face. In planning a dive, my wife and dive Buddy always factor in where we are headed, what we are looking for, and we are invariably the first in and last out because we do not kick around for the length of the dive. To each their own, but we like the relaxed, focus observation of nature beneath the surface. Glad to hear we're not alone.
DivemasterDennis

I too am an advocate of looking to see things, both big picture and small. You've been there, back on the boat after a dive, talking about the frog fish, or octopus you saw, the interesting fish behavior you observed, or the sea horse on the low lying soft coral. Other divers come up, aghast. "Really?" " Where was that?" Well speedsters, it was right beside you, right below you, and sometimes right in front of your face. In planning a dive, my wife and dive Buddy always factor in where we are headed, what we are looking for, and we are invariably the first in and last out because we do not kick around for the length of the dive. To each their own, but we like the relaxed, focus observation of nature beneath the surface. Glad to hear we're not alone.
DivemasterDennis

:rofl3: You just reminded me of an insta-buddy! I was observing, and taking pictures, and not chasing him . . . when we got back on the boat, he says, "What did we see down there, Jax?" :rofl3:

Today's diver does NOT touch anything. The impact of such a touch is not just the repercussions of the touching, like one's thumb being bitten off, but the resulting bad press impacts ALL scuba divers as the unknowing populace screams for regulations and dive area closures. Furthermore, it is possible to hurt the animals / flora / fauna unknowingly -- at least, the animals become more afraid of divers which mucks up the next photo / video opportunity for the rest of us.

Lastly, if you are in a marine park, it's possible to get cited or even arrested for harassing the wildlife.

In a nutshell:
Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but bubbles.

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom