A HUGE favor to ask! Please help me with my assignment!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

soudan

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Currently (Tasmania Australia), Previously (Alexan
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi All,
I've been absent from the dive world due to going back to University, hope you've all been well.

I am working on an assignment for a unit in my masters of architecture degree that has a very philosophical-phenomenological structure.

Since this is the largest (friendly) international community i know, i thought you could participate in this exploration.

I've created a website that asks 3 simple questions (completely anonymous). The aim is to get people from around the world to fill those questions out. Then you can view other (anonymous) answers from around the world and like or dislike their answers.

(Admins) I hope its ok to use this forum for this!

Here is the link:
The Glass Embassy

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Thank you!!

Thanks to all those who answered and checked out other answers! I hope you enjoined the experience as much as i am enjoying reading all the replies!

Thanks!

I have to say that I found the intro on the web page a bit ridiculous.....Each of us MUST have preconceptions and stereotypes to survive in the world.....While there may be tiny Islands somewhere in the world ( like in Fiji) where 100% of the population has no real agenda, and wishes only good for others, this is NOT typical of the populations in large countries, and certainly not in the US. If you walk down a street at night in an urban area, there are going to be people with agendas much different than your own. There have always been criminals in any civilization of note....and we have them today --in each social class from unemployed, lower class, middle class, upper middle, upper class, and particularly the political class( where most are likely criminals with low likelihood of ever being caught). With all the differing agendas, your concept of no preconceptions, no stereotype, would lead to inability to see key indicators of what MANY of these people are actually planning, and MANY people trying to live this no-stereoptyping existence would be taken advantage of, or outright robbed. All people are not good. You look for friends that are "better" than most people--that are more good. If I was to go and try to meet a random 100 people today, I doubt I would actually LIKE more than 10 or 15 out of 100...all are not good, all do not have a great deal of high level thinking to offer--and all do not have opinions that are valid ( to me:) )

So I think there are SOME STEROTYPES you need to suggest people keep until they know they don't apply.....like in a dark urban environment, someone that looks like a mugger, and is wearing a hood....this person needs to be considered-stereotyped, as a potential criminal with bad intentions toward you--until experience shows you differently....
I do think that each of us should want to aggressively RE-EVALUATE each of these stereotyped individuals as rapidly and completely as possible, because some will not deserve the bad initial stereotyping....

You guys read the intro? I just answered the questions and moved on. :)

Soudan, good luck with your assignment.

R..

Dan,
Thanks for your opinion!
I am an architecture student asked to do a philosophical piece, philosophy doesn't really hint to something or conclude anything, it just poses a question.
I agree, there is a reason why we have all those prejudices... asking to live without them would be equal to call for a utopia!!
This assignment is focused on 'understanding', our jobs as students in that unit is to pose a provocation... Not to tell people they are doing things wrong!
My opinion is, that if we TRULY knew each others intentions, there would be no wars, and no crimes... but because we are humans, and we don't have super powers, that will never happen...
The philosophical topic that this website is grew from is Hermeneutics... Do a google search if that interests you!

Cheers

Dan,
Thanks for your opinion!
I am an architecture student asked to do a philosophical piece, philosophy doesn't really hint to something or conclude anything, it just poses a question.
I agree, there is a reason why we have all those prejudices... asking to live without them would be equal to call for a utopia!!
This assignment is focused on 'understanding', our jobs as students in that unit is to pose a provocation... Not to tell people they are doing things wrong!
My opinion is, that if we TRULY knew each others intentions, there would be no wars, and no crimes... but because we are humans, and we don't have super powers, that will never happen...
The philosophical topic that this website is grew from is Hermeneutics... Do a google search if that interests you!

Cheers

Soudan,
I have met many people that truly are evil...evil in the sense that their primary goal is to take from others, and profit greatly, while seriously injuring those they take from. I have seen this in high level business people that essentially "prey" on others...and I have had to interact with numerous politicians at a city level that were very happy to TAKE away the investments and the homes of many, under the pretense of a "common good" and of Eminent Domain....but in fact only the developers benefited--and the crooked politicians who were secretly funded for their duplicity.

I took several Philosophy course when in college...and enjoyed them immensely...Too bad you can't make a living with this except by teaching :)
I would beg to differ with you as to how philosophy is used.....Look to Immanuel Kant and he will provide you with a powerful framework to decide what actions or behaviors are going to be necessary for you to engage in...by determination of your Duty in each matter. Where there are conflicting duties, as in the case of each human having RIGHTS as humans you must respect, there are Imperatives that come into play when their behaviors threaten the social order, or threaten your own life.
You care enough about the assignment to research this with us here....so I am suggesting that you get some philosophical muscle behind your positions
There is RIGHT and WRONG...easily enough determined by the Kantian method. In fact, you have a DUTY in some cases, to tell people they are WRONG.... :)

Interesting survey, makes you stop and think about who and why you are what you are.

Thanks!

Do you have a deadline for your survey? I got curious with the comments your thread has generated!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom