A good computer for an infrequent diver. (battery concerns)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

joshua.d.vise

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all!
I recently completed my PADI Rescue Diver training, and I promised that if I did, I would get a dive computer! I've looked at lots of specifications, different models, etc, and have a few in mind. However, I have some special concerns, and would like to pick your brains about them.

I want to dive more often (ideally, one weekend a month in the future), but up until recently, I've only been able to dive about 2 times a year (usually one week trips - I have 29 dives at the moment). My concern is that if I get a computer, it will be sitting on the shelf for 10 months out of the year, and I am concerned how so much down time would affect the batteries. If I get a computer with a battery that I can't replace or remove on my own, will it cause problems if it isn't used for long intervals? Any recommendations for storing a computer for a long time without experiencing battery related issues? Thanks in advance for your advice.

The only concern I know about is alkaline batteries, which leak when depleted. That would only be issue with a user replaceable batteries. I have had old computers with lithium cells in them go for several years on the shelf without any obvious harm.

Look at a computer with a user replaceable AA battery. Once you are done diving you can remove it and use it for other purposes and put a new one in for your next dive session (depending on the gap).

Literally any computer with a user-changeable battery would do. If it's going to sit ofr months, pop the battery out. Just make sure you know how to replace it properly, paying due attention to the o-ring. O-rings degrade over time, regardless of the amount of use. Like all rubber, I would think that storing the thing in a box, out of direct sunlight, or fluorescent lighting.

Nothing will happen to your computer by sitting on a shelf for ten months, provided the battery is lithium and not alkaline. Lithium batteries don't leak whereas alkaline after some time do. While sitting on a shelf, though, unless you can put your computer into sleep mode -which I doubt- the computer will slowly discharge the battery. The option of removing the battery before putting it away is a valid one, except that I would strongly advise using a new Oring when reinstalling the battery. All things considered, I would leave the (lithium) battery installed while sitting on the shelf and check it's status before you start diving again.

Exactly, therefore being an infrequent diver myself I purchased Teric - like the idea of using it occasionally as a watch, the batteries will get some needed 'exercise' once in a while.

I have a spare Shearwater Petrel that I keep around for backup purposes. Contacted Shearwater before I stored it. No harm in letting it wit indefinitely without a battery in it. The clock will need resetting once a battery goes in. And it takes a regular AA battery. Very nice and intuitive functions so when you get back to it after 10 months, it will still make sense and be easy to use.

Oceanic

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom