A few shots from Anacapa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

canismajor

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Dive day: Saturday 8/15/09

Took the Great White over to the east side of Anacapa. Several pods of dolphins raced under and around the boat on the way over and we were met by several sea lions once we got in the water. Vis wasn't terrible but could have been better. Maybe 12 - 15 feet. Water and air temperature were about the same when we first went in - about 62. We enjoyed the first dive enough to stay there for the second dive, which was pretty much a repeat of the first, quality wise. Went to the Arches for the third and that was seriously murky. 5-7 feet vis. Did manage to see a couple of giant sea bass so that was cool, but we decided after about 10 minutes that it wasn't really so great at that particular site that day and packed it in.

These were taken on and around some rather shallow (25-35 ft.) reefs with my Canon A640 using the built-in flash and a home-made diffuser (as I somehow lost my OEM diffuser). And, for those who care: ISO 400, Manual exposure, flash set to lowest setting, the first is 125th/sec. @ f4, the rest are 100th/sec @ f4.
IMG_1679a.jpg

IMG_1710a.jpg

IMG_1712a.jpg

IMG_1694a.jpg

IMG_1707b.jpg

Thanks Parabolic. It's my 4th or 5th time trying to get good shots and I think the first time I've ever posted anything.

But to answer your question, the Great White is owned and operated by Chris Russello (the same Captain Chris who has been running it for years). Charters small groups and has great prices (and the breakfast burritos are just fantastic! The chicken catchatori lunch ain't too shabby either.) There were 4 of us and he had one student. $145 a person and we had, essentially, our own dive boat instead of the cattle boats that I've come to despise. He's a dive instructor. Makes a difference when the capt. is a diver, believe me.

If you want, you can reach him at 805-987-3555. His e-mail is seardiving@hotmail.com.

Thanks for the information canismajor. I know Chris, met him when he was running Aloha Dive in Woodland Hills. I wanted to do Anacapa trips with him on the Great White but at that time he was just running it on weekends, which are difficult for me. Do you know if he does any weekday trips now?

Sorry,

Hadn't checked this thread for a couple days. And, sorry again, because I don't really know. 'Fraid you'll have to give him a call to find out.

Nice shots Canimajor. I like the colors you achieved in the first one :)

Thanks for sharing!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom