A few reviews from my new book

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jim Lapenta

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
SCUBA: A Practical Guide to Advanced Level Training is coming out November 1st on Amazon. Kindle will follow shortly after. I have been working on this for over a year now. A few people have had the chance to review it. It also contains a foreword by Richie Kohler of Deep Sea Detectives and the book "Mystery of the Last Olympian- Titanic's Tragic Sister Britannic".

Dealing with the most common training taken after basic open water - Advanced Level or Advanced Open Water- it approaches the subject in much the same way as my first one did with the basic class.

There is some info from the first one included and then expanded on. It contains the essays I have been sending out regarding back plates and wings and the one on Post Traumatic Stress in Recreational Dive Rescues. Below are few of the initial reviews:

“James has once again written another no nonsense manual about diving. His knowledge and insight is apparent throughout this manual. I would recommend this book for every diver's library.”
Brian Carney
President
SDI/TDI/ERDI

“Overall Jim, this book provides an excellent workbook / guideline for open-water divers to bring their awareness and skills to a truly useful level. Well done, mate!”
Steve Lewis
Techdiver Publishing & Training
Advanced Programs for Divers and Instructors
CCR and Open-circuit, Expedition and Overhead
Travel Adventure Consultant, Author

“Overall, a great book. This will be a great resource for anyone who purchases it. I enjoyed reading the book. We have a lot of similarities in our approach to teaching. Definitely a book I will recommend to any newer divers I encounter.”
Rob Neto
Sidemount, Technical, Rebreather, & Cave Diving Instruction & Mentoring
Chipola Divers LLC

“Overall, excellent, excellent, excellent! I already recommend your first book to students. I'll be adding this to my list as well. You gave me the idea of also presenting my students with handouts of additional information that I want to drill into them. This should become the norm. I would hope that this becomes common enough such that training organizations add it to their material. Thank you for giving me the opportunity for reviewing your book.”
Kosta Koeman
PADI IDC Staff Instructor
Underwater Sports- Bellevue, Washington

"This book is a must read for any diver looking to move into advanced diving. In today's rushed dive courses, many instructors will have a new diver certified in a weekend and advanced certified with 5 dives past open water. Skill and knowledge development seemed to have gone out the window with most diving courses today. However, in this book you will learn proper gas management, dive planning, gear considerations, the diver's body position in the water, rescue skills, choosing an instructor, and much more valuable information. I would highly suggest reading this book before taking a diving class. Doing so will better prepare you, change your mindset about diving, and help you in selecting the appropriate instructor."
John Baker
Owner/Instructor
Scuba John’s Dive Shop
Lancaster, South Carolina

I'll be uploading a cover image in the next few days. For regular updates follow me here: UDM Aquatic Services | Facebook

Last edited:
Will be ordering my autographed copy shortly straight from the author.

Liked your first one, looking forward to this one. You rather us buy through you or Amazon?

I will be taking paid pre orders for signed copies beginning October 24th. For two weeks the special price will be 20.00 plus 6.50 postage in the US. Amazon cover price will be 23.99. After the two week period signed copies will also be at the amazon cover price. The kindle version should be out about a week after the print version. Table of contents below:
Acknowledgments
Introduction
Foreword
1 Advanced Dives: What are they and what are Advanced Classes?
2 The Risks: Upping the Ante
3 Before You Sign Up for Training: Are You Ready?
4 Rescue Skills: They Are Even More Important Now.
5 Gear Choices: More Than an Aluminum 80?
6 Gas Management for Advanced Dives: Time to get serious.
7 Core Attributes of the Advanced Diver: These set you apart.
8 Targeted Workshops: Getting Ready for Class.
9 Planning Advanced Dives Part 1: Choosing the Instructor
10 Planning Advanced Dives Part 2: Advanced Dive Selection
11 Planning Advanced Dives Part 3: After the Class
12 Building on Lessons Learned: Expand Your Knowledge Base
13 I’m Ready for More: What comes next?
14 Diving Regularly: How To Do That
Glossary
Appendix A – Rock Bottom
Appendix B – Ratios and Their Effects on Safety and
Training
Appendix C – Sample Dive Planning
About the Author

Reactions: tep
A few questions ???????

14 chapters ...how many pages ?

Binding ? perfect ? magazine? stapled ?.

Cover ? Hard cover ? Soft Cover ? Picture ?

Size of printed book? 4to? 8vo? 12mo? 16mo or a pamphlet size 24mo ?

It is noted you have no references of previous ADPS such as ER Cross's 1955 home study program and LA Co UW instructors association which developed the very first successful civilian ADP in 1967 -49 years ago- and is still going strong. The LA Co is a regional program that can never be duplicated in quality and quantity of instruction - A three month program--- a 3 hour lecture by experts in their felid on Thursday followed by specific dives ( one to two dives) every weekend and team meetings and water practice sessions as required during the week. There are also week end field trips to Scrips SIO, chamber ride, a trip to Catalina and a gala graduation banquet ...

It is recognized your course is possibly directed toward a specific region and perhaps a specific program, therefore how does your proposed course compare to LA County's ADP?

I eagerly await your response and wish you well in this and all future endeavors

SDM

Last edited:
It's not a course. It's not a history. It's designed to be used as a supplement to any advanced/aow class. Total page count is 275. Agencies are only noted in the glossary as "a certification agency" . For more info buy the book when it comes out.:wink:

Front cover.

BookCoverImage.jpg

Back
Top Bottom