A few questions from newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aih1013

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello!

I just moved to London and would like to learn a bit about local ways to do things. My experience is primarily in tropical waters plus a few dives in Northern California. So I expect it to be a bit different.

What kind of suit is the best to dive all year around? I'll probably won't dive during the coldest periods, but you never know.

Any recommendations re a dive sites nearby?

Thanks in advance

Aih1013

If you are intending to be in the UK for a while, 6 months +. I would suggest you find your local BSAC branch. Www.bsac.com
The BSAC are a members dive club. You can join a local branch and dive on your existing qualifications, or take advantage of the branch training and pick up a BSAC qualification.
There are PADI clubs but these are more commercial and normally attached to a shop.

Most UK diving is done in drysuits.

If you are interested in wreck diving then Scapa flow is a must, the Truc Lagoon of Europe.
Plymouth has some great dives, including the James Egan Lane, the wreck of a liberty ship. This five is classed as a beginner's dive, but still a great dive, with great history.

BSAC qualifications include decompression techniques for all qualifications with the exception of the entry qualification.

Generally we work in Meters and bar rather than feet and psi.

Any questions ask away. I have had a couple of days diving in California off Catalina.

Cheers

Gareth

Last edited:
Gareth,

Thank you. Metric system is my native one. :wink:

I'd like to do a few dives during Aug-Sep, while I have some time to spare. Though, I do not own equipment. I used to rent it, but it seems unreasonable to continue to do so.

Any advice regarding a place to buy?

Also, it would be great to buy a drysuit, but it is going to be an overkill for warm waters. I am not sure I can have it together with wetsuit. Is there a middle way? I plan to dive at the southern coast for a while...

Thanks again!

aih1013

August and September are still very much the UK diving season. October, weather permitting is still often considered part of the summer season. Certainly diving in August and early September is do able in a wetsuit.

I think you are going to have to find a shop with a PADI club attached. Then hire and pay for a trip or two .

You could try talking to Discovery Divers in Plymouth. They may be able to offer to hire you kit and sort your diving out. They are a school and dive charter facility. info@discoverydivers.org
However Plymouth is not a short hop from London!

Hellfin divers is a BSAC club in London, they may be able to offer advice.

There is a big diveshow in London in the Autumn - called the dive show! But the bargins are not what they where.
London is not my area so I am short on help here.

Gareth

aih1013

Regarding diving techniques or practice.

UK waters are generally quite tidal, so DSMB's (Delayed Surface Marker Buoy's) are standard equipment for the majority of UK divers. Many dives require the diver to send up the DSMB as they leave the bottom (wreck), the expectation is that you will drift some distance from the site during the descent/decompression.

In addition, most UK divers consider compulsory decompression part of the dive, even if it is only a few minutes

Gareth

Being your in London, the closest inland site to you is Wraysbury. You can get a train from Waterloo (windsor and eton riverside), get off at Wraysbury, and walk about 100m down the road and there you are. If you drive, there are loads of other inland sites a bit further afield, plus the south coast. Good dives for newer (and new to the UK) divers include: Portland Harbour, Valentine Tanks, Fleur de Lys, Swanage Pier, Babbacombe, Chesil Beach for sea dives. My preferred inland site is Vobster, which is in Somerset and about a 2 hours drive from London, although I will admit I am biased as I do also work there. However, it was my preferred site before working there so.....

Back
Top Bottom