A few pics of a singles Hog rig for cold water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GreenDiverDown

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Here are a few shots of a cold water singles Hog rig. This one happens to be a Halcyon old style Pioneer with a Halcyon 6# SS plate, standard STA, and a MC storage pac. Also, on this rig, are two pairs of Halcyon cam bands. The reg is an Apeks DS4/TX50 with a Uwatec Master Diver SPG. The unconnected hose is the drysuit inflator hose. Hose lengths are primary: 7', secondary: 22", SPG: 24", LP inflator: 22". I cheated on this rig and used an O-ring on the bolt snap of the primary and some inner tube on the bolt snap of the SPG. Not shown are the Scout backups and the Sandroff cannister light.

Nice shots. Toss a few a couple of the harness specifically (preferably, the bp/harness by itself on a person) and you have yourself the best collection of singles hog rig pics I've seen yet.

Thanks. I was in a hurry to get a few shots for Paul and the lighting sorta sucks. Maybe I'll re do 'em when I have a little more time. I think that I've posted some similar shots with different rigs...one with an Agir wing and one with a yoke Seaquest XR2 and one with Tobin's plate. Maybe I'll organize a few different rigs. Come to think of it, I think that I screwed this one up...I usually have a FredT 9# plate on it instead of the H plate.

Something I noticed here. The STA seems to space the cam band MUCH further apart than the bands on the pioneer. Is this by design? I may want to go to an STA in the future and this looks like a nice added perk.

PerroneFord:
Something I noticed here. The STA seems to space the cam band MUCH further apart than the bands on the pioneer. Is this by design? I may want to go to an STA in the future and this looks like a nice added perk.
Yes, it's by design. It's a design comprimise for getting rid of the STA.

If the camband holes that go through the backplate are as wide apart as the bolt holes (11"), then you would need to burn holes in the cambands! You can't put them wider because there isn't enough room, so you have to put them in between the bolt holes somewhere.

This is among the many plusses of using the STA.

I really like Halcyon's STA with their cam bands and SS buckles. They weigh in at 2.5# and don't add a whole lot of set back from the plate...if I remember right it is just under an inch. The STA from Salvo looks very similar, is about 20 bucks less but doesn't have the SS buckles. I like the SS buckles... but they do scratch up the tank. I could care less 'cause I'm using Al tanks. But if I had steels it might bug me.

I'm interested in learning more about the weight pouches (or what appears to be weight pouches) on the cam bands. I am starting to put together a "partial" hog rig and I'm wondering what to do about weights I used to put in my weight integrated BC.

Sorry, where are the d rings for your stages?

Also, you might wish to consider:

1. SMB.

2. Reel for above.

3. Back up lights (optional but at depth its a toy to keep your mind off the rig).

4. Redundant inflator hose...if that HOG comes with double bladder???

Looks nice though.

boogey

boogeywoogey:
4. Redundant inflator hose...if that HOG comes with double bladder???

On a Hog Rig?

gstroupe:
I'm interested in learning more about the weight pouches (or what appears to be weight pouches) on the cam bands. I am starting to put together a "partial" hog rig and I'm wondering what to do about weights I used to put in my weight integrated BC.
5lb XS Scuba weight pockets work well for hogarthian rigs. Patrick @ OxyCheq just sent me some sample pockets for 2" webbing that are slightly larger - I can stuff 2 x 4lb hard weights, and they might take a single 10lb hard weight, but I can't find those in Oz to try (not that I need 10lb per side). They have a clip retainer instead of velcro, and appear to work as quick-ditchable pockets when mounted upside down (5lb soft weight bag slides out by itself).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom