A Few More Manta Photos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's already beautiful see one manta flying! Getting 5 of them...
Really nice pics.

Beautiful pictures Mike, absolutely beautiful

Mike Veitch:
Seeing as i didn't go diving today thought i would share a few pics with everyone from the last couple of weeks

enjoy

Mike:

I love your manta shots. I have been diving S. Florida for years and I have never seen a devil ray underwater (only about 3 surface sightings and me without my SCUBA). What amazing stuff. Please keep posting.

I have been playing with some advanced Photoshop masking techniques including “channel masks” where you use the channels feature in Photoshop to help create a mask. It worked great on your mantas so I decided to darken the mantas to create a sharper silhouette on one layer, and use the mask so that only the darkened mantas would appear in the composite image. On a separate layer I used a curves adjustment layer to boost the contrast between the background water and sun. This is what I came up with.

MikeVmanta_Mod.jpg

I saved the file as a PSD so I can rework any aspect of it. For example, I could soften the mask by applying a gaussian blur filter to it if the edges look too sharp.

I hope you don’t mind my working with your shot as I really helps me sharpen my Photoshop skills and gives me some great ideas regarding my future UW shots.

I have said this before, but you do much better than I shooting silhouette shots. I can never get the sun and water exposed just right, but your results will keep me trying. I also like the vignetting around the photo edges which helps draw attention to the mantas. This could be enhanced in Photoshop, but does not need much of a tweak (I left it alone in the posted image).

Thanks again for sharing your shots!

—Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom