A few images from the Galapagos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kidsdream

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
These were taken during my trip on the Agressor II: June 5 -12th.

Of course we saw Hammerheads.
Hammerhead+1+small.jpg

... lots of Eagle Rays
Eagle+Ray1+sm_001.jpg

At Darwin we saw "Tornados" of fish on many of the dives.
Fish+Tornado.jpg

At the southern sites we frequently saw Whitetips.
White+tips1+sm.jpg

Also south we saw tons of friendly Sea lions.
Sea+Lion+Crop1+copy.jpg

At Cousins Rock there were more than a few macro opportunities (only used the 60mm lens on one dive)
Seahorse+1+copy.jpg

Those are incredible and exactly why one of dreams is the Galapagos....It is a MUST do for me. Great shots...thanks for sharing. Do you have a website with more?

Nice photos - love the eagle rays!

Nice pics!

How was the diving? Everything I've read says dives require an experienced diver. Where they tough dives? Currents bad? We've always thought about going but were a little worried about how dangerous it might be.

You should be comfortable in heavy currents and with open water accents before considering diving the Galapagos.

At times the currents and surge rock you around at lot. And it is quite possible you might end up alone (hopefully with your buddy) while you ascend and then wait for the panga to pick you up.

On one of the Darwin dives, my regular buddy did not dive and I got slightly separated from the group due to me shooting images slightly deeper and offset from most of the group. Realizing I could not fight the current to get back with the others, I ascended alone. I shot my sausage at 25' during my safety stop (a needed skill in my opinion for this trip) and came up over a mile from Darwin's Arch (and the rest of the group which I could not see) in the 6' seas.

After deploying my flag and sounding my alert horn I was found after drifting for around 8 minutes. You just need to keep your cool and be alert.

Nice pics!

How was the diving? Everything I've read says dives require an experienced diver. Where they tough dives? Currents bad? We've always thought about going but were a little worried about how dangerous it might be.

I remember that dive Jeff. We were all lined up on the rocks and then Allejandro decided to go to another portion of the rocks where we were swimming against the current. I looked back to see if you were still there, and you weren't. I figured that rig you carry must have impeded your progress. That was a wicked swim. Burned lots of calories on that one. :rofl3: I don't know who your buddy was though. I don't think I ever really had one the whole trip.

The reason that I don't think shooting a safety sausage from depth is necessary at Wolf or Darwin is because there isn't much boat traffic. It's not like being in Jupiter,FL where there are boats everywhere. Yes, you can drift, but the flags they give you hold up better than sausages in the chop. I like the idea of using the Dive Alert to get the panga drivers attention, but when all else fails, you have your GPS.

I was alone during the ascent for one dive, and yes, it kind of freaked me out being alone in the blue. You literally cannot see anything but blue all around you. My heart was pounding and I kept telling myself to relax, do my SS, and when I surface, put up my flag and they will come get me. And sure enough, it all worked out just as I told myself it would. That day I think there was 6-7 ft chop. Very rough seas, but the panga drivers look for that flag.

Fantastic stuff. I'll be there this October and your pictures are just adding to the - already high - anticipation!

Back
Top Bottom