A few generalized questions about Bonaire -- namely, electricity requirements

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SparticleBrane

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have some friends who are taking some time off from life and moving to Bonaire from the US for just over a year. They plan on doing lots of diving and I'm sure sight-seeing and whatever else they want.

They do have a few questions regarding the electricity requirements of living in Bonaire (as opposed to simply visiting for a week). Unfortunately I don't know much about electric conversions but I hope that someone here does. I'm under the impression that they are actually buying a house or condo.

From my friend:
They use 127v 50hz. We’re 120/60. Any decent surge protector should clean the power down to 120 when it’s running at 127v but when it goes brown, which is common, I realize that my desktop will require a decent UPS. Luckily all my computer type equipment is both 50 and 60 hz compatible.

The problem is stuff like the hairdryer, the stereo, the toaster, the microwave, the roomba, the robot litter-box, etc. They all show that they are exclusively 60 hz. I believe even decent UPS units will simply put out the same frequency they receive and thus not solve the hz issue. That might just end up shortening up the life-spans of our electronic equipment or flat out fry us some gadgets. Worst case we could burn down our house. Am I right about this? If so, do you know of any type of frequency converter that would accept 50 hz input and output at 60 hz? I’d prefer to avoid the ones that are the size of my car. Thus far that’s all I’ve been able to find.

Anyone have any insight into this?

If so, do you know of any type of frequency converter that would accept 50 hz input and output at 60 hz? I’d prefer to avoid the ones that are the size of my car. Thus far that’s all I’ve been able to find.
Another option is one of these: Solid State Frequency Converters, 50hz, 60hz, 400hz I know nothing about them, how they work or what they cost. Looks to be about the size of a big UPS. Except a lot heavier - one I looked at briefly was 188lbs. Probably mostly tranformer weight.

For the Roomba it doesn't look good either: iRobot: Customer Care - Can I use my battery charger internationally?

Small appliances they'll likely have to replace - at least anything with a motor in it. I'm guessing there's an appliance store on Bonaire but none comes to mind immediately. Maybe they'll have to fly over to Curacao one day and shop there.

The Microwave likely won't work at all - the first time they plug it in the magnetron tube would fail. Since it's what makes it work...

Gonna have to go back to the old fashioned way of cleaning the litter box also...:rofl3:

It you are not a dutch citizen you can't just up and move to Bonaire for a year.

There is a mountain of paperwork and approvals to be waded through!

It you are not a dutch citizen you can't just up and move to Bonaire for a year.

There is a mountain of paperwork and approvals to be waded through!
Yes! I would think the electrical issues would be the least of their worries. If they have not done the paperwork, they will be limited to a max of 3 months at a time. From Info Bonaire - Entry Requirements for Visiting Bonaire
Effective October 10, 2010, the maximum a visitor may stay on the island is three months in a six month period. The time is calculated from time of arrival on the island, not on a calendar year basis. The count started new on October 10, 2010. Visitors may leave and return during the timeframe of 180 days, until 90 days are reached. A visitor who has stayed for 90 days is required to leave and will not be admitted again until 90 days has passed. When considering how long a visitor will be allowed to stay, the six month period prior to arrival date will be reviewed. For visitors requiring a visa, the timeframe on the visa is the applicable timeframe.

What you really have to watch out for are electrical devices with motors. If the device is rated 60 hz it will die a slow death at 50 hz. For those rated 50-60 hz, no problems (most computers). Regarding devices without a motor, ie TV, toasters etc I really have not encountered any problems. Obviously we run surge protectors on everything. When buying, if you are able to always chose 220 volt over 110 (assuming you have both 110 & 220 volt outlets where you are renting) you will always do better with the European models wired for 220 volt.

No problem all electric equipment from the States work fine the main problem is that they often cut of the electricity because of problems reparations not enough electricity or some other reasons and when it comes back it comes like hell sometimes with over 300 Volts and that kills all the electric stuff specially all 110 Volt material 220 Volt equipment stands longer so that 1 now 2 concerning the permit
you can ask a permit to stay for 1 year you need enough money to cover your needs for 1 year without working they ask about 22000$ for 2 persons for 1 year and you have to bring the papers they ask but that's not impossible that's not so much we did it in 2012 and during that year we started our business.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom