A few days Manila

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sonar

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey guys,

I am planning on staying in Manila a few days when I arrive. Haven't really been into checking what the city got to offer but I heard it's pretty cool for a few days. Basically I am looking for the backpaker area with budget rooms, cheap food and young people. Quick search showed that Malate, Ermita and along the Adriatico ST, A mabibi St and MH del Pilar ST offer most budget traveling-accommodation.. No idea if this all the same area or what the different areas offer.

Wonder if anybody got good suggestions for an area or a specific guesthouse.. Also wonder whats the best and cheapest way to get from the airport to there. Of course I am also interested in cool stuff to do in Manila.

:lotsalove:

To my knowledge there isnt really a backpacker scene in Manila like you might find in Bangkok, although there are cheapish places to stay, I normally stay in Orchid Gardens Suites - its a smallish hotel, not cheapest but reasonable rates and easy access to the airport and routes in an out.

As for cool things to do, hhmmm dont have any but here are a few interesting things to do:
- day trip to Corregedor Island - very interesting in terms of the early American era and WWII
- walk about Intramuros - the nexus of the Spanish occupation, nice shop there selling tribal artifacts
- SM Mall of Asia - it really is a stunning building, and mall life is part of life in Phils
- There are a few museums but nothing that I found really interesting
- Apparently there is some good nightlife / underground music scene (not associated with the sex trade) but I havent had any luck as yet.

Malate/Ermita are indeed the 2 areas with the majority of budget accommodation within Metro Manila. They are 2 neighboring areas within the old part of Manila with a lot of restaurants, near tourist attractions (Intramuros, Luneta, Old Chinese Cemetery, Malate Church, the Aquarium,...), shopping (Mall of Asia / Robinson's Ermita / ...) and close to Manila Bay.

My personal favorite is Malate Pensionne along Adriatico Street (it is situated behind the Starbucks Cafe). I have been staying there many times over the past 12 years and we keep going back if we need to stay overnight in Manila. They offer rooms in different categories (from Dormitories to Aircon family rooms). They have their own website, so have a look there for the options that suit your budget. I would recommend you book in advance to be sure you get your room of choice.

In regards to transport from the airport: I would honestly advice you to take an official airport taxi when you arrive (ticket can be bought at one of the booths in the arrival hall). You are certainly being overcharged compared to the expected rates for the +/-1 hour drive from the Airport to Malate in regular traffic, but it will save you the chaos and a lot of potential problems. There is no public transportation available directly at the airport.

Things I have done in my younger years when every penny counted:
1) Walk from the airport to the Baclaran LRT station and take the LRT towards Malate (e.g. exit Quirino station) and walk again from there to Malate. Be adviced though that you walk in a not-so-nice area of Manila (the part from airport to Baclaran LRT Station) so I would advice you to not do this outside of daytime hours.
2) There are some jeepneys that pass the airport in walking distance, which you can take but you will need a couple of transfers so you might get lost if you do not know your way.
3) When you arrive, go to the departure area of the airport and try to get a metered taxi there which just dropped off other passengers.

Going back to the airport, take a regular taxi in Malate towards the airport. Just make sure you go for the correct terminal dependent on your destination.

Happy trip :)

thanks for the info. Precisely what I wanted to know. Will take a cab the first time; I am so white atm that every streetcrook will see that I am fresh pray hehe

looking around all amazed and jetlagged with a 15kilo bag

You could also try Old Manila Walks (google it; it appears that i can't post URLs). they offer walking tours of Manila City sites such as Intramuros, Chinatown, etc. HTH

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom