A Few Days in Vancouver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bennyscuba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello All,

The wife and I will be in Vancouver for a 4 days at the end of the month and were possibly interested in diving - read good stuff about it. The questions I had:

(a) How accessible is the diving from Vancouver - is it an all day activity where you have to rent a car and drive a few hours or is more accessible?
(b) Do you need a dry suit or is a 7mm enough? We're not dry suit trained
(c) How does the diving compare to Northern Ca. We live in the Bay Area and have gone diving in Monterrey. Is it much different or much better?

Since we only have a few days, we would only want to dive if it were worth it. If so, is there a shop someone recommends? We'd probably be diving over the weekend...

Thanks as always,

bg

There are sites 20-45 minutes away from dt vancouver (depending on traffic). Whytecliff, Kelvin Grove, and Porteau cove are a few frequently mentioned sites, and there are a few charters (
Sea Dragon Charters) that run during weekends.

You'll need a two piece 7mm suit (14mm over your core).

Diving in Monterey doesn't compare to here, unfortunately. Still some interesting things if you can read tide charts.

If you only have a few days and, from your comments about renting a car, don't want to rent a car, it might be best to contact a local dive shop as they often have weekend excursions and can arrange transport (i.e. carpooling etc.). diveidc.com and edgediving.com are good.

The sea dragon is a great choice (boat dives with variation in sites, easy water entry, often better vis.). They also rent equipment/tanks i believe but you'd have to check. (time taken by the diving is usually 8am-2pm on weekends).

I'd say the big difference between monterey and vancouver is the absence of kelp forests. Lots of sites have amazing topography though - i.e. wall dives, pinnacles, canyons etc. Similar marine life to Northern Cal. and many organisms the same.

Thanks for the replies. What is the expected visibility and conditions like at these sites? I'm assuming water temps are mid 50s?

I guess what I'm trying to get a sense for, is it worth spending a day diving considering this isn't our dive vacation, and we have perfectly good local diving. I never would have considered diving up here - we tend to be vacation divers (i.e. warm water, pristine conditions, tropical drink in hand) but read a nice write-up in a Scuba Mag so was intrigued...

thanks,

bg

EVERY vacation should be a dive vacation! :wink:

Visibility lately has been around 30' at depth and about 5' at the surface. The temperature at depth is 48-52F.

I've never dove Cali but if you can work it into your trip, I'm certain you won't be disappointed with your experience diving here.

Enjoy your visit!

Hello All,

The wife and I will be in Vancouver for a 4 days at the end of the month and were possibly interested in diving - read good stuff about it. The questions I had:

(a) How accessible is the diving from Vancouver - is it an all day activity where you have to rent a car and drive a few hours or is more accessible?
(b) Do you need a dry suit or is a 7mm enough? We're not dry suit trained
(c) How does the diving compare to Northern Ca. We live in the Bay Area and have gone diving in Monterrey. Is it much different or much better?

Since we only have a few days, we would only want to dive if it were worth it. If so, is there a shop someone recommends? We'd probably be diving over the weekend...

Thanks as always,

bg
As others have said there is some great driving within 30 minutes of downtown. We usually go out almost every Sunday. Porteau cove, Kelvin Grove, whytecliff park, are a few popular sites in Howe sound. A few people dive here in 2 piece 7mm wetsuits even in the winter so you should be fine. Sea dragon charters from Horseshoe bay also do boat dives usually on Saturday's and Sunday's throughout Howe sound and around Bowen Island, Hut Island, Christie Island, Pam rocks etc. I think they charge $99 for a 2 tank trip. Porteau cove is actually a dive park with lots of sunken features that attract a good variety of marine life(diver showers,lots of parking, easy entry, and washrooms. Google it for more info. Most of the park is <55 feet so a nice easy dive with lots to see. The viz has been 10-30 feet lately. You won't be disapointed if you decide to get wet. Cheers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom