a few Ambergris questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dirtfarmer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
How far out are the dive sites from Ambergris? I ask because my wife is a non-diver so the less I'm gone the better.
How is the diving? I'm totally spoiled by the Coral Triangle so my standards are pretty high.

How's the weather in January? I'm mostly concerned about high winds?

Any sand flies?

And yes I'm being lazy and not going through all the old threads looking for this info.

the close ones are closer than the far ones. Look at the map or gmaps to measure yourself. Distance also depends on where you stay and what site you dive.

Good one.
I'm asking about the site typically dived from Ambergris and in time to the sites not a measurement

I wouldnt dream of asking about the weather that far out.

I'm asking about the weather in general historically at that time frame not what the weather is going to be.

Hey ChillyinCanada, I see your a frequent poster here, wanna help a Indonesia junky find out some info on Belize. I've now spent some time going thru old threads but still would love some clarification.

AC is about 25 miles long. There are dive sites the full length of the caye which means if you stay at tranquility bay in the north the south end sites will be farthest away. if you stay in the south end the north end sites will be further away. look at the map I provided you. here is the weather service site... Hydromet

How far out are the dive sites from Ambergris? I ask because my wife is a non-diver so the less I'm gone the better.
How is the diving? I'm totally spoiled by the Coral Triangle so my standards are pretty high.

How's the weather in January? I'm mostly concerned about high winds?

Any sand flies?

And yes I'm being lazy and not going through all the old threads looking for this info.

I spend a bit of time in Belize... are you really looking for weather information on a trip that you'll take over 6 months from now? Haha! :D

Sand flies - YES. Not as bad as Anguilla or Nevis, but more than Cozumel. :D

The wind shouldn't be horrible at that time, as it's the beginning of the dry season.

One question though... if your wife is a non-diver, that's fine. But is she going to snorkel, hit the pubs, do some shopping... what's her goal and needs? If she's low maintenance and just wants a beach, you might be better off in Caye Caulker.

I have fairly extensive experience on both islands, and also Belize City, so let me know more details and I'll try to guide you. :)

The reef is no further than about 1/4 mile from the island. There are 50 some named sites along the reef. Most boat rides tend to be less than 20 minutes and many are like 5. I usually do 2 dives and am done at 12:30 for the day. The shops in Cay Caulker seem to spend most of their time at the sites around the main cut through the reef at San Pedro. So they travel 20 minutes just to dive the sites that are right in front of town on Ambergris. The northern part of the island is very remote and the reef is closer to shore there. The southern part is not as remote , but the reef is 1/4 mile from shore there. The diving is great. There are lots of large animals. there are also amazing patches of coral. I dive there a few times a year because I like the lifestyle. I leave my gear at the shop. I walk 10 minutes down the beach each morning to catch the 9am first boat. I like the surface intervals on shore at the shop. I like being done the second dive at 12:30 and eating lunch while still wet. I spend the afternoon managing my business remotely and napping.

One question though... if your wife is a non-diver, that's fine. But is she going to snorkel, hit the pubs, do some shopping... what's her goal and needs? If she's low maintenance and just wants a beach, you might be better off in Caye Caulker.

I have fairly extensive experience on both islands, and also Belize City, so let me know more details and I'll try to guide you. :)

Thanks Jaydubb! my wife is low maintenance, so a lounger in the shade with decent wifi is her speed. I've been to Caulker ages ago and it's charming and it's probably cheaper over there but I'm liking ( and she'll like) super short boat rides to dive the reef off AC.
We like having lots of restaurants to choose from, loungers on the beach, and a beach bar or two.

The reef is no further than about 1/4 mile from the island. There are 50 some named sites along the reef. Most boat rides tend to be less than 20 minutes and many are like 5. I usually do 2 dives and am done at 12:30 for the day. The shops in Cay Caulker seem to spend most of their time at the sites around the main cut through the reef at San Pedro. So they travel 20 minutes just to dive the sites that are right in front of town on Ambergris. The northern part of the island is very remote and the reef is closer to shore there. The southern part is not as remote , but the reef is 1/4 mile from shore there. The diving is great. There are lots of large animals. there are also amazing patches of coral. I dive there a few times a year because I like the lifestyle. I leave my gear at the shop. I walk 10 minutes down the beach each morning to catch the 9am first boat. I like the surface intervals on shore at the shop. I like being done the second dive at 12:30 and eating lunch while still wet. I spend the afternoon managing my business remotely and napping.

Thanks AWMIII! My wife will like seeing more of me.

Anybody have recommendations on a dive shop? I've read thru lots of posts and three seem to come up often. In a shop my biggest asking requirement is a DM that will let me dive my air/computer. I absolutely detest being made to surface at 45min with plenty of air left in my tank. Small dive groups and shops that offer trips to the atolls are another plus.

Hey dirtfarmer! Looks like you got most of the answer (especially by AWMIII). Do NOT expect anything on par with the SE Asia diving. I like the diving off of Ambergris Caye because it's a second home to me and almost unbelievably easy to get to, unless you're ponying up the time and money to get out to the Atolls for some of the best the Caribbean has to offer.

If you accept the paucity of fishlife and can get into the zone by enjoying the geography of the reef and zen of the sensation, you'll be happy enough. But if you plan on doing a running comparison, I suspect you'll be unhappy. Please don't be unhappy, enjoy the island and area for what it offers.

I've been found in San Pedro many a January. It can be a mixed bag but there's really no guarantees that the diving won't get blown out. More often I've had better weather in January than in December or February. I won't return in February for a trip unless I'm already in place.

What kind of accommodations do you seek for the wife?

I wouldn't want to go to the Atolls with a small shop. And that said, most of the small shops contract their divers out to the big shop to take the journey on their super comfy boat. I recommend Island Divers and Chuck and Robbie's dependant on where you stay. Myself, I do most of my dives with Amigos del Mar but they're a bigger shop. That said, at certain times in January there aren't enough people around to have anymore divers on a boat at the big shop than at the small.

There'll be fewer sandflies around the main part of town which has the most access to beach bars and many restaurants. That still doesn't mean there won't be any. :) you'll need to use standard precautions especially if sun bathing on the beach.

I'm not a sunbather, so I'm really stretching to think of places the wife might like. However, take a look at Mata Rocks. It has a beach bar on site, a peaceful little beach bar.
Rooms are very comfortable. There's a couple of hammocks too.

You're going to want to rent a golf cart no matter where you stay at least for a day or two to see other areas on the island.

Is your wife going to be wanting a swimming pool?

Hey dirtfarmer! Looks like you got most of the answer (especially by AWMIII). Do NOT expect anything on par with the SE Asia diving. I like the diving off of Ambergris Caye because it's a second home to me and almost unbelievably easy to get to, unless you're ponying up the time and money to get out to the Atolls for some of the best the Caribbean has to offer.

If you accept the paucity of fishlife and can get into the zone by enjoying the geography of the reef and zen of the sensation, you'll be happy enough. But if you plan on doing a running comparison, I suspect you'll be unhappy. Please don't be unhappy, enjoy the island and area for what it offer.

Thanks Chilly. I understand about the difference between diving in the Coral Triangle vs the Caribbean, I used to spend a month on Little Corn Island. I really enjoy diving and sometimes it's about the whole island experience vs epic diving. I've been on an epic diving binge and my wife not wanting to go to Bali last year leaves me trying to find something closer. I haven't even floated this to her yet, and I do all the planning so wanted to be able to give her a pitch. ( If it doesn't work I'll just have to go back to Indonesia on my own).
And don't worry I won't come back after doing a comparison and whining Belize sucks.

Thanks for more weather clarification it was the same on LCI could be great could be blown out. Hey I'm a farmer I gave up on wishing for weather long ago. I do like to understand risks though.

What kind of accommodations do you seek for the wife?

We want to be close to town. It doesn't have to be ocean view. Nice grounds are a plus. Hammocks are a plus. A pool is nice but not an absolute. She might even like a kitchenette. We will definitely rent a cart for a day or two, but want to be within easy walking distance of town.

I wouldn't want to go to the Atolls with a small shop. And that said, most of the small shops contract their divers out to the big shop to take the journey on their super comfy boat. I recommend Island Divers and Chuck and Robbie's dependant on where you stay. Myself, I do most of my dives with Amigos del Mar but they're a bigger shop. That said, at certain times in January there aren't enough people around to have anymore divers on a boat at the big shop than at the small.

I don't need a small shop, but I'm looking for a shop that will do 60min/air/computer diving vs 45min and we're surfacing.

Back
Top Bottom