Trip Report A couple days of diving in Cuba near Varadero

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wetb4igetinthewater

Instructor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So I just returned from a trip to Cuba for the purposes (per the US State Department) of education and support of the Cuban people.

As part of that support, it was imperative that I support a couple dive centers. I went with two separate dive centers on two different days.

Please excuse when the white balance is off. I just had a point and shoot, no flash, so I tried the best I could to correct colors. Overall it was nice, and I'd recommend diving in Cuba.

The first day was to Playa Coral, an easy shore dive. Unfortunately my uw p&s died before the best part.

CubaUnderwater-1.jpg

CubaUnderwater-2.jpg

CubaUnderwater-3.jpg

CubaUnderwater-4.jpg

CubaUnderwater-5.jpg

CubaUnderwater-6.jpg

CubaUnderwater-8.jpg

CubaUnderwater-9.jpg

CubaUnderwater-10.jpg

CubaUnderwater-11.jpg

CubaUnderwater-12.jpg

CubaUnderwater-13.jpg

My second day was boat diving at two different sites: El Ancla & El Jardín. I like the latter most.

CubaUnderwater-18.jpg

CubaUnderwater-19.jpg

CubaUnderwater-20.jpg

CubaUnderwater-22.jpg

CubaUnderwater-23.jpg

CubaUnderwater-24.jpg

Some dork photobombed me. If you are ever spearfishing, feel free to spear this guy.
CubaUnderwater-25.jpg

CubaUnderwater-26.jpg

CubaUnderwater-27.jpg

CubaUnderwater-29.jpg

CubaUnderwater-30.jpg

CubaUnderwater-34.jpg

CubaUnderwater-36.jpg

CubaUnderwater-37.jpg

CubaUnderwater-38.jpg

Continuing on.
CubaUnderwater-39.jpg

CubaUnderwater-40.jpg

CubaUnderwater-41.jpg
CubaUnderwater-57.jpg

CubaUnderwater-58.jpg

CubaUnderwater-59.jpg

CubaUnderwater-60.jpg

CubaUnderwater-61.jpg

CubaUnderwater-62.jpg

CubaUnderwater-64.jpg

CubaUnderwater-65.jpg

CubaUnderwater-66.jpg

CubaUnderwater-67.jpg

This woman was the only diver who remained horizontal when not moving. But she brought her own equipment (including a BP&W).
CubaUnderwater-33.jpg

These divers were not trim.
CubaUnderwater-31.jpg

Your last photo is depressing.
It is. Dive tourism is relatively new to Cuba, so poorly trained divers haven't had decades to damage what is currently fairly healthy. 50 years from now, it won't look the same, sadly. Our dive guide was laying on the reef while taking pictures as well. He should know better.

EDIT: I would LOVE to take my rebreather and camera gear down there with me and spend hours at some of these sites.

It is. Dive tourism is relatively new to Cuba, so poorly trained divers haven't had decades to damage what is currently fairly healthy. 50 years from now, it won't look the same, sadly. Our dive guide was laying on the reef while taking pictures as well. He should know better.
What are we to do? See the avatar from my friend @Soloist taken in Bonaire.

So I just returned from a trip to Cuba for the purposes (per the US State Department) of education and support of the Cuban people.

As part of that support, it was imperative that I support a couple dive centers. I went with two separate dive centers on two different days.

Please excuse when the white balance is off. I just had a point and shoot, no flash, so I tried the best I could to correct colors. Overall it was nice, and I'd recommend diving in Cuba.

The first day was to Playa Coral, an easy shore dive. Unfortunately my uw p&s died before the best part.
Stunning photographs. Amazing. So beautiful.

I dove there in 1998. It was mostly Canadians, UK, Spanish and Italians. It was seriously disappointing that i asked for my money back. It looks like an improvement. I don’t think dive tourism was new to the international community back then.

Back
Top Bottom